71. One Situation to a Better Situation

Miya

"Okay grammie, me and Marcus are about to leave we have to start packing to leave tomorrow night." Miya placed the doggie bed next next to her bed and watched as she slowly walked in with Marcus following closely behind her with her new sleeping puppy in his hands.

"You know, we still didn't have our talk Marie." Her shaky voice said from behind her.

"Please don't call me that." Miya pulled up the ends of her tube top and turned around to look at her. 

"Child, that is still your name. I call you as I please."

Miya continued to look at her and tried not to huff. The way everything turned out with her 'mother' she was seriously thinking about changing her middle name. She maybe going over board, but she didn't care. Her mother did her wrong and she do not want to be named after someone that turned their back on her.

"What do you want to talk about?" Miya quickly changed the subject as she sat on her grammies bed. She leaned over to take the puppy out of Marcus hands and placed him on her lap to pet him. They decided to get her a young golden retriever, so that when he gets older her grammie could get use to him and vice versa.

"Did you really damage your mother's car?"

Miya looked down at the puppy and smirked a little.

"That is not something to be proud of Miya. You can not continue to let the devil win."

"My father gave her money to get it fixed." Miya looked up at her.

"Now what if you and your father wasn't blessed with that kind of money?" She placed a hand on her hip.

"Then she would have a damaged car and she would need to find a way to get her car fixed." Miya answered her truthfully. She glanced over at Marcus to see him holding in his laugh.

"That is not right Miya." She shook her head. "That is why I put your name in the church before I came over today and they are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow morning."

Miya stared at her and arched her brow. "Church?"

"Did I speak Dutch or German, or maybe that language your father side of the family speaks?" She arched her brow back.

"They speak Haitian Creole and Nah," Miya shook her head. "I'm not going to a church that's going to ridicule me for something I can not control. I refuse for those people to once again attack me." Her and her father stopped going to church because of how bad the church goers attack both him and her, despite her not having serious mental issues until after she turned eighteen.

They always found something wrong with Miya, despite how good she acted. The church goers knew about her father having schizophrenia and knew that he spoke Haitian creole and somehow determined that he was a product of the devil. Some even thought that he was a witch due to how much money his father passed on to him in just a short amount of time due to his passing. Even though this had absolutely nothing to do with Miya, the church goers always seemed to throw her into the mix with nasty remarks about her that she still to this day, do not know what was said. She just knew that it was bad enough to have her, her father and mother stop going.

"That is not how the church is Miya. They are here to help you."

"Help me?" Miya scoffed. "They ridicule you, talk shit about you, and only worry about themselves and how they look. They don't care about no one. I'm not going to that church, I'm not going to any church. I'll be damned if I'm judged by a group of hypocrites." Miya slid the dog off her lap and stood to her feet.