Chapter 72

Nathaniel.

"Can I get you anything bud?" Jack asks.

"Nah I'm fine." I say taking a sip of my water. I actually am not hungry.

"So, I was thinking. What about tonight we all meet at my place and just hang?" Garry asks. I look at Xander who has his hand on the device on his ear. He is pouting, probably sad. By the look of his features, he had a rough night last night. "Sandas, what do you think?"

"Not bad." I say. "Xander you should come too."

He sadly miles and nods.

"C'mon dude, Sage is actually an ass, she has no idea what a great deal she is loosing!" Jack rubs Xander's shoulder. "Don't worry about it. This stage, high school, is the place you shouldn't face problems... relax, have fun. I can even hook you up with my cousin Selene."

"Ohhh she's a hottie!" Garry exclaims. Xander just smiles and tell them he needs some time.

"And you bro... broke up with Elia... you're good?"

"Yeah." No.

"I was starting to like him you know. I was even starting to get used to you being all gay and stuff. I was even scolding everyone I heard saying some homophobe slurs." Jack seriously says.

"Yeah. Me too. I was even beginning to have a conversation with the boy without kicking his ass."

"Okay you guys! Enough of Elia and whatever..." Julia cuts in giving me an apologetic look. "Tell me about the game."

And my break goes like that. Painful though I felt a bit relieved.

"See you at lunch." Everyone stands except for Julia and I. She is looking at me carefully.

"So you finally broke up. Told you you won't get far." I am about to stand when she laughs. "I am joking with you. I know if I ask you why you two broke up you will not tell me, so- I am not going to. But however, I'll tell you what I think. I think- that- Actually. I have tried breaking your relationship and that didn't work, it made it stronger. I hope you guys will get back together. I still have a massive crush on you and it's sad seeing you like this." She stands up smiling. "See you at lunch."

I groan and stand up too. This is going to be one huge mess.

***

"Broke up... why!? I like the kid!" dad exclaims as he sets the table.

They had asked me why I didn't bring Elia for dinner and then I just told them the truth. Leo on the other hand say nothing but just shifts his gaze from dad to me with a smile on his face.

"Leo did you hear that? He broke up with Elia- uh- I'm so sad." He walks over to the stove.

"Why did you break up?" Leo asks.

"It wasn't working."

"That's a cliché answer, and nobody really means it when they say so."

I chuckle. "He always put himself first and- his emotions were all over the place he'd be sensitive and mad and- I couldn't handle it anymore." He nods still smiling.

"What!? You broke up with him because he has some bipolar or shitty stuff? Leo did you hear that? It's like you breaking up with me because I have cancer!"

"Many people do that Frank." Leo asks. "I think he did nothing wrong.

"What! Frank that boy was one of a kind- super unique-"

"Maybe that's it. I couldn't handle-"

"Listen Nathaniel. When you say you can't handle something it means you have faced it many times and that you've thought of eliminating it a lot of time. It means you have tried fixing it. But I don't think you felt that about Elia... I mean I don't know anything. I am just saying."

"Yeah, maybe you acted on impulse. Do you regret it? How do you feel?"

I take time to think. "Honestly- I'm hurt and sad... but I don't know if I should say I regret it..." I sigh taking my plate. "It wasn't on impulse. I thought the whole day. Xander- he- Elia outed Xander to his girlfriend and-"

"What!?" dad takes a seat. "That doesn't sound like him. What really happened?"

I tell them the whole story. And the end, I can feel a lump on my throat, begging me to scream.

"You see. Something was eating him up. Did you ask what it was?"

"That's the thing! He hurts me when he-"

"Then you broke up with him because it hurts you when he does something!"

"He hurts me when he is hurting. I don't want to see him like that. A lot happened and now it eats him up... It really hurts." And this is the reason why I broke up with him. Because I am a coward.

"Nathaniel... let me hurt you a bit, I'm sorry. Your mom is not there for you now, for now. And your dad is dying. You want to lose Elia too?" Leo's words lunges me like a knife. "You aid you despise it when Elia hurts. How will you feel to know that you are now the cause of his pain He lost his father, and then now, in between a year, his mother and love?"

"Look buddie, we are not making decisions for you, but we are helping you. If you had broken up with him because he cheated or you no longer love him then fine. But you're doing it because it hurts you when he hurts and he is hurting now. You are running away. Take your time thinking this through." Dad says. "I have never in my life seen two people as young as you are experiencing what you are experiencing."

"I- understand.... But... I don't think I want that."

They both nod. "Okay, I made beef stroganoff, let's feast!"

"Yeah!" Leo exclaims.