Chapter Forty One.

Start from the beginning

"No, you are not dead. You are not dead."

Just as I said these words, Aphelia gasped for air. She sat up, coughing out water as relief ran through my veins. I let out a breath, collapsing next to her. I was about to open my mouth to speak before I felt a hand grab onto my waist, pulling me back under the water. I thrashed wildly in the person's grip, as their hand went over my mouth. I felt their legs tangle with mine, keeping me from moving at all. Terror was the only thing I felt as I stared into the darkness of the water. My body was beginning to give up on me as I struggled to hold my breath. I closed my eyes, suddenly too weak to even fight anymore. My mind began to slowly drift off.

I can't do this anymore.

"I can't do this anymore!"

I cried as I violently threw an empty bottle of alcohol into the wall. It smashed, glass flying everywhere. I slumped to the floor, holding my head in my arms. Sobs erupted through me as I closed my eyes, wishing everything would go away.

"Devin! What happened?"

I tilted my head up, relaxing as my eyes landed on my best friend.

"I thought you went home, Jax." I simply stated. My voice was numb, void of any emotion.

"I did. I forgot my phone."

He put his arms around me, lifting me up from the ground. I choked out another sob as I pushed him away from me.

"Don't!" I practically yelled. "You shouldn't have to see me like this all the time."

"Yes, I should, Devin." He countered as he pulled me to the couch.

"I want to see every part of you. I want to see you on your worst days, and your bad days. And I want you to know that I'll be there for every single one of those."

I looked into his caring eyes, wiping my tears. I have no idea what I did to deserve him in my life. I know for a fact I wouldn't be here if I never met him. He pulled my face up, so I was looking up at him.

"You just have to promise me one thing, okay?"

"What's that?"

"You have to fight, Devin."

"You have to fight, Devinthia. Fight for me! Fight!"

I choked out as water spilled from my mouth. I quickly sat up, as familiar arms went around me. I opened my eyes, as I noticed I was no longer trapped under the water. Graizen was practically in pieces as he held me in his arms, his chest shaking against mine. I felt tears slip from my eyes as I allowed myself to relax into his chest. His arms were a safety blanket around me, calming my trembling body. I noticed we were laying in on the soft grass, outside the water. Graizen had slipped his shirt over me, along with his jacket. I was shivering as he stood up, holding me in his arms.

"Don't do that to me. Don't leave me, Thia."

Graizen pulled me into him, as he buried his head into my neck. My heart broke as he sobbed into me, holding me as if I would disappear in his arms. I could feel the desperation in him as he stroked my hair, making sure I was actually there.

"I thought you died."

His voice was a shaky mess as he scooped me into his hold. He planted a soft kiss onto my forehead before pulling me against his chest. I closed my eyes, leaning into him. My body tingled with excitement and electricity as I gazed up at his face.

"You saved me?" I questioned.

Graizen looked at the ground as he shook his head. I couldn't help but notice the tears that stained his cheeks.

"No, I didn't actually." He quickly said. I could hear the resentment in his voice.

"Aphelia couldn't find you in the water, we thought you were gone. She came to me as fast as she could, and when we came here you were just laying here on the ground."

"How did I get out of the water?" I silently said, shaking my head.

"We don't know."

"We're closing off the forest until we find out more." Graizen assured me as he guided me to the city hospital. He took my hands in his, gently kissing them. I practically jumped from Graizen's arms as my eyes landed on Aphelia. Ryker was with her, holding her as if his life depended on it. I wrapped my arms around both of them, relief flooding through my body. They both hugged me back, as Aphelia closed her eyes once again. Graizen lifted me up, guiding me to one of the beds.

"You need to rest. Your heart stopped for a while." Graizen commanded.

"Not the first time that's happened."

Graizen set me down, pulling a blanket over me. I didn't say a word as he placed another gentle kiss onto my forehead. My whole body warmed at the simple gesture. He quickly turned away, as I caught his arm. He raised his eyebrow as I pulled him back to me.

"Where are you going?"

"To go hunt down the bastard that tried to kill you." He stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh." I flatly said.

I wanted more than anything in the world to fall into his arms and forget about the world around me. Graizen Mavericks was my drug, and I was a full-on addict. There is no cure for what this boy has me under.

"Actually," Graizen turned back around, noticing my disappointment. "Can I stay with you? Just to make sure you're okay?"

A giant smile swept across my lips as I nodded to him. He climbed into my bed, wrapping his arms around my torso. That familiar feeling of fire swept over my bones as he held onto me. I closed my eyes, allowing myself to escape reality.