Treason

"This is insanity! Not only is he an Uchiha, but he's brought a child! A child is not safe here!"

Tsunade sighed as Sasuke presented his brother and nephew to her council of advisories, in addition to Gaara, Kannon, and Baki. The latter was visibly incensed by the audacity Itachi had to stroll into their ranks, especially with a child, and how lenient the Hokage was in accepting these renegades.

Beside Tsunade sat Kakashi, who was flanked by an equally concerned looking Naruto and her own apprentice, Shizune.

"Let's hear him out, at least," said Tsunade pointedly, glancing warily at the infuriated Suna nin. "We owe him that much. He alerted us of his father's plot to steal that final scroll of Sora's chakra."

"You might as well pardon all the Uchiha who come crawling to your ranks then!" spat Baki, nonetheless sitting down with his arms crossed.

Now that he had been satiated, Tsunade turned her attention back towards the three Uchiha at the entrance of their makeshift meeting room.

"Sasuke, be seated. Our focus is on Itachi." 

With a nod, the aforementioned Uchiha sat at the end of the meeting table beside Shizune.

"Now." Tsunade leaned forward on the table, hands clasped tightly as she narrowed her eyes at Itachi. "Itachi. How did you come to know of our location?"

"We were sent an intel report regarding your arrival before you cleared out this hideout," answered the Uchiha smoothly, adjusting Yuta's position in his arms as the little boy squirmed uncomfortably. "I deduced that you wouldn't have moved on just yet, so I headed here as soon as I could."

"Why did you come?"

"I no longer wish to serve under my father," announced Itachi strongly, straightening himself up. "That is why I have come here, to you. I don't care if you throw me in prison, just as long as I don't have to be sent back."

"And what of your son?"

Itachi grimaced as he begrudgingly set Yuta on the ground beside him, clutching tightly onto his hand.

"I figured that you would have accepted Sasuke as one of your own by now," he began slowly, looking over at his little brother. "So even if I were to be imprisoned, I had hoped that you would at least allow me to place my son in Sasuke's care."

Sasuke frowned at his brother's words, having not expected him to make such a request.

"I don't understand," interrupted Gaara, staring curiously at Yuta. "If you walked in here knowing that there would be the possibility of imprisonment, why did you not just leave the child with his mother?"

"I'm afraid... if I had done that, my son would surely have been executed by my father as punishment for my treason," murmured Itachi, squeezing Yuta's hand.

"And what of your wife?"

"Her as well."

There was a thick silence in the air as everyone put Itachi's story together, sensing that whoever the mother of his child was, wasn't going to be meeting a pleasant end.

"So you abandoned your wife to bring your son to safety?"

"I did not abandon her. She made her own choice. I have made mine."

A look of slight surprise passed over the visible side of Baki's face, but he remained silent otherwise. Tsunade frowned and closed her eyes, deep in thought as she considered the Uchiha's story.

"Gaara, what do you think?" she asked, not even looking at the Kazekage. The redhead looked towards Kannon, who raised her eyebrow at him in a questioning response and shrugged.