Begin

Sunday went by extremely fast; too fast. Monday morning rolled by, and before the sun had even risen, I was seeing both Sasuke and Kannon off.

As Shisui and Ayumi slept soundly behind the three of us, I hugged both of them at the door of our room as they set off to begin their journey.

"We'll see you soon, Tera."

Kannon placed a reassuring hand on my back as I stepped sideways to hug Sasuke, giving him a small smile.

"It's nice to see you on the right side for once," I said cheekily, playfully hitting him on the chest. Albeit with a scowl and his eyes rolling, the Uchiha took me into an embrace, and the two of us stayed like that for a moment.

"Don't get killed."

"Same goes for you. Look after yourself."

After our brief goodbye, Sasuke and Kannon were gone.

For who knows how long.

***

"How are you feeling, duckbutt?"

Sasuke scowled at Naruto's remark as the two of them walked ahead of their forces, well out of earshot of any of the other general shinobi.

"Why does it matter?"

A look of concern crossed over the usually bubbly Uzumaki's face, and he frowned at his old friend's apathetic demeanour.

"I just want you to know I don't agree with the harsh penalties Granny and the other higher ups are putting you through. You can always tell them no."

"I don't have a choice, Naruto. I have Tera and the children to think about; what need do I have for a family that's disowned me and will most likely try to kill me once they see my face?"

"You have a point, but still. It's your family. The people you grew up amongst. If you need any help... I can."

As he had increasingly been doing over the last few weeks, Sasuke surprised Naruto when he gave him a small grin and nodded at the blond.

"Thanks, Naruto."

The Uchiha held out his fist, immediately transforming Naruto's look of worry into one of satisfaction.

"We're a team," grinned Naruto brightly, bumping his own fist with Sasuke's as they kept walking. "Don't forget that."

Sasuke nodded and glanced carefully over his shoulder as they progressed forward, looking to see where Kannon and Gaara had gotten off to.

"This isn't the time or place, but I need you to keep an eye on the Kazekage and Kannon," muttered the Uchiha under his breath, shooting Naruto a sly side glance. "If there's one good thing I want to come out of this, it's that those two admit their attraction to each other and do something about it."

"Oho! Since when did you care about other people's love lives, Sasuke?" hollered Naruto, smacking his friend on the back with a loud laugh. "Especially theirs?"

"Since Tera started caring about them," shot back the Uchiha, giving the Uzumaki a threatening glare.

"Alright, alright. But seriously, though. What are you going to do?"

"I need to speak with Itachi."

"And then?"

"And then I'm going to do what needs to be done."

A thick silence blanketed the air around the two; with every step, Sasuke felt his heart growing heavier and heavier.

It was a new beginning.