Yuujin

The days leading up to Sora's imminent return were riddled with preparation upon preparation. And, of course, allowing Sasuke adequate time to spend with his children. While he didn't want them to be endangered by remaining in or near Suna, he also wanted to be there in Tera's final moments. Just in case there was the slim chance that he could somehow, somehow alter her fate.

"This is such an odd sight."

Itachi chuckled as Sasuke walked back and forth in front of Suna a few days later, Ayumi sitting comfortably on his hip as he directed clan members and gave out instructions. Every person who Sasuke gave a task to, Ayumi smiled at brightly, considerably lightening morale.

Itachi was joined by his father, who emerged from their makeshift tent on loan from the Kazekage's forces.

"He seems to have gotten quite attached to his children," stated Fugaku, eyes trailing Sasuke's every movement. "And vice versa. There should be no difficulty in separating them from whoever was raising them here, especially now that their mother is a lost case."

"There shouldn't be any issues from the Hokage or Kazekage's side either, since Sasuke legally has the right to decide on where he wants his children to live," agreed Itachi, who was ever so amused by his little brother's sudden transition from a cold, calculating commander into a kindhearted, caring father. "Oh, Sasuke. If only you were this nice to Yuta."

"Ha." Fugaku smirked and turned around, making to enter the tent once more. "Once we've dealt with this woman, we'll be the ones with the upper hand. With Sasuke's children inheriting their mother's genetics, and with what I'm planning regarding that demon's chakra, the Hokage will have nothing."

Itachi raised an eyebrow, curious as to what his father's plan was. Sure, he had mentioned every now and then that he had ulterior motives regarding Sora's capture and subjugation, but he had never taken it upon himself to explain to his son just exactly what plan he had in mind.

"What exactly are you planning?"

Itachi followed his father back into their meager tent, making sure that it was sealed so as to prevent any nosy eavesdroppers. Heading towards his makeshift desk, Fugaku scowled and sat down, placing his hands together on the desk top.

"I'm going to see to it that we get our hands on this extracted chakra," said Fugaku, looking at his son seriously. "That's where you come in."

"Oh?"

Crossing his arms and leaning all his weight on one leg, Itachi gave his father an apprehensive look.

"So you're saying, I'll be the one carrying out all your dirty work?"

Fugaku shot his son a sly smile.

"Naturally. Since we have both you and Karin in there, it should be easy to snatch the sealed chakra away from them."

"Don't you think they would be wary of us double crossing them?" said Itachi with a sigh, troubleshooting his father's plans. "If I remember correctly, the plan was to have Karin and Tsunade do the sealing. I have no doubts whatsoever about Karin's prowess as a kunoichi, but she won't be able to get away from the Hokage so easily."

"We need to make sure that that other Kurotsuki girl is the one paired with you," said Fugaku with a frown, mulling over all the possible options in his mind. "She'll be much easier to deal with than that Hatake."

"Right. So your plan really is that straightforward?" asked Itachi dryly, unsurprised by his father's cunning. "We help them take down Sora, and then take off with her chakra so that we can seal it away into someone else in our clan. Have we decided on a candidate?"