Crush

"Ah, she has such a gummy smile."

I proudly held Ayumi up against the window that evening, holding onto her chest and bottom so that Sasuke could see her in all her entirety. He gave a little grin as he made eye contact with her, prompting a burst of sound from her mouth. She began bouncing around excitedly, and I liked to believe that she was dancing out of joy for her father. But she was only a couple months old, so probably not. But hey, I can believe what I want, so leave me alone.

"She seems to be getting talkative," chuckled the Uchiha, waving tenderly at his active daughter. "Nice."

"Very talkative." I sat back down on my seat, gently cradling Ayumi in the crooks of my arms to settle her down as I continued to speak to Sasuke. "Good development."

Sasuke nodded at me and bit his lip, looking as if he wanted to say something but couldn't.

"Listen, Tera..." He hesitated briefly, before clearing his throat and straightening up. "It's not too late for you to rename her, you know. I know you really wanted to name her yourself, and you still can."

I snorted at his seemingly random comment, waving it away.

"Honestly, I never even had a name to begin with," I said, shaking my head. "And what can I say? Her name has grown on me. Ayumi Uchiha."

"So... you're content with keeping things as they are?"

"Sasuke, what's done is done," I sighed, beginning to lightly bounce Ayumi on my knee as she began to gurgle once more. "I'd rather focus my energy on something more important than trying to find a new name for our daughter. God knows I'd never be able to choose. Besides, Ayumi is perfect. I love it, regardless of how it came to be."

"Since you like it that much, do you want me to ask my father to name our second child too?" joked Sasuke, making me roll my eyes in disdain.

"No thank you, I think I'm quite capable of doing it myself," I said firmly. To my relief, Sasuke didn't argue one bit. I guess it was already an unspoken oath between us that I would be naming our second child. God forbid anyone else from doing it.

"I won't stop you. It's all yours."

"Thanks. Although I do have to admit, from what I've gathered, the names your father distributed all sound lovely," I said honestly. "What were the names of Shisui's twins? Mizuki and Asami?"

"Yup. Considering the council had around ninety babies to name, I think they did a pretty good job."

"I bet they did. Speaking of names, Kannon was explaining to me the Kurotsuki naming tradition the other day..."

"What is it?"

"Just this thing... I don't know where they got the names from, but the names of deities and such were bestowed upon each member for some reason," I said with a sigh, slightly embarrassed. "It's a cool concept and stuff, but like... basing your children's names off of gods? Aren't you basically declaring yourselves as gods? No wonder civil war broke out. Imagine having a whole clan named after the same gods you revere and worship. Isn't that blasphemy? Well, considering if anyone still believes in them these days."

Sasuke scoffed, rolling his eyes at me.

"A tradition's a tradition," he shrugged. "You don't question where it came from; you just let it be. It's not like it's hurting anyone, either. You could give the kids names if you want. I don't mind."

"I'll think about it," I joked, unsure of whether or not I was actually being serious. "I'll hold off of it for now, because my options would be very limited otherwise."