Meeting

My first few days at Suna were ones of newfound freedom and relaxation. The Konoha shinobi that had been tasked with repelling the Uchiha had since returned, and Ayumi and I were settled in well, adjusting to the barren climate that came with our comfort.

But, I was still curious.

What had become of Shisui?

I felt like my heart was numb, and that whatever the news I got, it wouldn't make a difference. I think I already knew what happened to Shisui, but there was still that little glimmer of hope. There's always a little glimmer of hope, especially when it comes to things that you don't witness yourself.

"Hey, do you know where Tsunade's shinobi would be right now?" I asked out of curiosity. After a couple of days just resting and getting ourselves back to normal in our room, Ayumi and I were out and about the village, with Kannon as our guide as we navigated our way through its dusty streets.

"Not sure. If they're not working, they're probably doing their own thing," said Kannon nonchalantly, looking around as cars drove past us. "Why do you ask?"

"I want to know what happened to Shisui."

"Ah, of course. I can take you to the building that they're all staying in, if you'd like."

"Would it be rude to show up without warning?"

"I'm sure they won't mind."

***

"Who would you like to speak to?"

"Uh... whoever last saw Shisui, I guess?"

Kannon led Ayumi and I to a building similar to the one we were staying in, where she held the door open for me as I pushed her pram through.

"Well, I'd say it's best we ask Neji. He's the one who can see for miles in any direction. Come, let's see if he's in."

As we walked towards the elevator at the end of the corridor, it opened, and a familiar woman stepped out.

"Oh, Hinata!" said Kannon. The pale-eyed woman looked startled, and jolted at the sight of Kannon and I. Dressed casually in navy blue pants and a lilac and white jumper, she held a white tote bag on her arm as she stood to talk to us.

"Sorry, were you going shopping?" asked Kannon in dismay, looking guilty at the fact that we were disrupting her daily routine.

"Hello, Kannon-chan. I was, actually. Was there something you wanted to see me about?"

"Actually, Tera wanted to ask you a question," said Kannon, nudging me in the side. "Do you have a few minutes?"

"Yes, of course. What is it?"

"Um..." I scratched the back of my head, unsure of how to word my question. "Do you know what happened to Shisui?"

As Hinata lowered her tote bag, a look of remorse crossed her face.

"Oh, Amaterasu-chan..."

I knew it. I knew it.

"Who did it?"

I was numb. I couldn't even bring myself to tears.

Beside me, Kannon rubbed my back comfortingly, but I glared at Hinata. I needed answers.

"Who was it?" I asked, this time in a more forceful voice. "Who did it? I'll kill them!"

"Amaterasu-chan, please," said Hinata quietly, hands dropping to her side. "You have to listen to me. Please."

"I'm listening! Tell me!"

"Shisui did it."

"Shisui did what?" My voice cracked. What was she playing at?