Yuta

"You're kidding me, right?"

The meeting room was hushed as Sasuke began to speak. Wary of his fellow clansmen's words, he was aware of his father watching his every move, judging the way he spoke and presented himself to the council members.

"Since I've been gone, you managed to lose control of three of our most important territories between us and the Land of Wind, and you're saying you want to launch an invasion on Suna as soon as possible? If you couldn't even keep those lands, what makes you think we're capable of successfully capturing Suna?"

"Everyone is growing impatient, sir," piped up a lesser councilman. "The sooner we plan an attack, the better."

"Impatient? You think I care that some people are feeling impatient?"

The man was shot down as Sasuke stood up, addressing everyone calmly.

"No. Now isn't the time to invade. In addition to the fact that we're drastically unprepared, trying to do anything this season in the desert is a suicide wish. The likeliness of sandstorms are high, and regardless of how great a shinobi you are, you're bound to get lost in the desert if you don't know it like the back of your hand. The earliest we can plan an invasion- and by earliest, I mean to appease those of you who are impatient- would be October, when the weather has started to cool down.

"By then, I plan to have reconquered the lands you all managed to lose in my absence. It took you six months to lose them, but I plan on getting them back in half that time, or even less. Does anyone have any questions?"

All eyes were diverted to Fugaku, who was propped up on his desk by his elbows.

"You heard him quite clear," he said loudly, not moving once from his position. "Unless, there is anyone who objects."

Sasuke glared at anyone who looked his way, smirking internally as no one dared to challenge his authority. Little had changed since he had been gone; he was still revered and respected as one of the most cruel and cutthroat generals in the clan, possibly the worst of them all.

"That's settled, then. Haruki, start preparing troops for me to take. We're going to start from the Land of Grass, and work our way downwards. To make sure we're fully prepared for whatever will come our way, we'll leave in five days. That should be an ample amount of time for everyone to get ready. Get it sorted."

"Yes sir."

"Ichiro, prepare the supplies and everything we'll need for our expedition. I have no intention of returning to the compound or Konoha if we run short of anything."

"Yes sir."

"Mitsuki, I want you to find us the quickest and most efficient way to the Land of Grass from here. I want an exact time frame, as well as a list of what obstacles to expect on our way. We'll map it out and discuss it further tomorrow morning in my office."

"Yes sir."

As Sasuke began giving out instructions and directing his men left, right, and center, Fugaku watched approvingly from the head of the table, while Itachi sat motionless beside him.

Welcome back, little brother, he thought tiredly, glad that Sasuke was back to reprise his duties that he had had to do in his absence. How Sasuke managed to do everything so heartlessly, Itachi couldn't understand.

***

"I guess I'll be seeing you two tonight at dinner."

After the meeting had been dismissed, Fugaku stood with his sons outside the room, looking between the pair. Eyes widening in surprise, Itachi looked towards Sasuke, who merely nodded at their father.