I nearly had the love of his life killed."

"Now, now, love of his life is a bit of a stretch," I chuckled, pulling Ayumi off of myself and placing her back on the bench. "But he was mad. Definitely. He was even mad at Kannon- Kannon, who was nearly killed by me! He's just a very, ah, angry man. When things go awry. You know how it is."

"I think it's sweet," smiled Yukata tenderly, having now finished her crying. "Everyone can tell he really loves you."

"I'd be concerned if he didn't!" I laughed, reaching into the bottom of Shisui's pram and pulling out his baby wipes so that I could clean up Ayumi and her mess while I spoke with Yukata. Ah, the joys of motherhood. Multitasking.

"Anyway, I came to apologise and return the money," said Yukata sheepishly, scratching the back of her neck. I held out a wipe for her to clean her hair with, earning a surprised little, "Thanks!" from her.

"Apology accepted. Money denied," I said sternly, grabbing her envelope and handing it back to her. "Take it. You earned it. Use it for college, or whatever."

"Actually, after everything that's happened... I really want to join the shinobi," said Yukata seriously, balling her hands into fists and ignoring the envelope. "I'm waiting for the Kazekage to return so that I can discuss it with him. It's not fair that only certain clans are aware of their abilities- I want everyone who can become a ninja or kunoichi to know of the possibility, and pursue it if they want to! And the current shinobi now can stop hiding their existence out of fear of retribution from the civilians!"

"You have a point," I shrugged, having previous experience as one of those ignorant of their hidden abilities. "What do you plan on doing?"

"Well, I did a lot of research, and I want to take the matter to the Kazekage to discuss informing the village about the existence of shinobi and their abilities!" Eyes shining brightly with hope and determination, Yukata was steadfast in her words as she was gripped by a wave of tenacity. "Even if he says no, I might just go ahead and do it anyway! It's probably illegal-"

"Maybe."

"- and people will probably think I'm crazy because no one has talked about it for centuries, but people deserve to know! And they should know that being able to wield your chakra isn't a bad thing, either! We have to teach them that wielding your chakra is beneficial, not destructive, and it's not a fantasy either!"

"I admire your moxie, Yukata," I grinned, winking at her as I wiped Ayumi's hands and face clean. "I'm impressed. I hope you get to train alongside Gaara. He's the best shinobi your village has."

"Thank you!" Yukata bowed to me with a broad smile, only to straighten up with a frown as she reached into her pocket. "Oh, yeah. And I think this might belong to you."

She pulled out a dark blue ribbon with a cracked silver pendant attached to it, adorned with three wavy lines running down the center of it.

"I found it on the way to work one day," she said grimly as I took the necklace from her and turned it over curiously in my hands. "It looked like it fell off of a merchant's cart. When I saw... her... the first time in my dreams, I saw her wearing this necklace. As soon as I recovered, I wanted to destroy it, but I thought it would be better to let you have a look at it first. I think this is how she, you know. Got me. And then you."

"It's in pretty good shape for something that's older than the villages themselves," I gawped, turning over the pendant to show Ayumi. Now that Sora was gone, the necklace had become just that- a cracked, empty necklace. "I take it you must not have any good memories with this thing."

"After I first wore it, I felt weird and dizzy, but even though I took it off and never wore it again, it was too late," sighed Yukata, rubbing her throat. "That contact enough must have been enough for her."

I clenched my hand around the pendant, feeling if any trace of Sora remained.

There was none.

"Do you mind if I keep this?" I asked quietly.

"Of course!" insisted Yukata, waving her hands frantically. "Please, it's all yours!"

"Thank you, Yukata." I tucked the necklace into my pocket and smiled at the young girl. "If you ever need anything, you know where to find me. And good luck with your petition with the Kazekage. You'll be great."

"Thank you, Tera-chan." 

"Take your money."

Yukata grinned as Ayumi reached out to her, and ruffled the top of her hair.

"Consider it my gift to your children," she said, glancing over at a still sleeping Shisui. "It's not much, but put it away for them. Please."

With a final bow, Yukata took her leave.

"Smart girl," I chuckled as she disappeared down the footpath, grabbing hold of Ayumi as she leapt back into my lap with a whine. 

I was pretty sure that Yukata had- quite wisely- just formally resigned from her role as Ayumi's babysitter. Although I wouldn't have minded having her back, I knew she wasn't exactly in Sasuke's good books. That, and I'd finally learned how to cope with Ayumi and Shisui on my own. Seven months was an ample amount of time to learn how to raise and tend to two children under the age of two. I was now a cook, cleaner, nanny, nurse, and allocated bedtime story reader, among other things. Having Ayumi and Shisui to look after really helped me grow, and although I was still learning, I was comfortable with our living arrangements as they were.

However, it didn't change the fact that I was ready for Sasuke to come home.