Nightowls vs. Speed of Light

"He what?!" Casey yelled. You could practically see the steam coming from his ears. Lucas scooted away, glaring at Miranda. The sky overhead was getting darker and my senses were coming alive. I am a nightowl. Speaking of which...

Hoo-hoot

I looked up at the pretty bird and it let out it's hoot again. Eli smiled.

"Did you know that every animal is also part of a group? Fae have a special understanding of animals in their group. Forest Owls are Earth and Shadow. All owls have Shadow in them." Eli said, leaning back and grinning up at the owl. "I think this one is a Northern Spotted." I looked over at him.

"How do you know what different breeds of owls are?" I asked.

"I did a project on owls that lived in the forest, and had to list the English and scientific names of the owls. There were a lot of pictures I looked up too." I nodded as Casey ranted off and yelled at Lucas.

"Don't touch her." Casey growled menacingly. Didn't I have the best friends? Lucas nodded and backed away even further.

"I think some owls also are Time, but I can't really remember. Owls are seen as Shadow Animals, and then there are subgenres of every type of fae for them. Same with all birds. Hummingbirds are Time Animals, with subgenres for everything except Storm, Shadow, and Electricity. Dolphins are Storm and Soul only, I'm trying to remember what animal is Storm and Electricity...." Miranda plopped down next to me since Casey had disappeared to get his anger under control. She looked up at the owl.

"Hey! It's a Northern Spotted! Those are Earth, Shadow of course, and Soul. Hey pretty birdy, come here." Miranda crooned. The owl flew down and landed on Miranda's arm, looking really big up close. My eyes widened and I was silenced. Miranda stroked it's feathers lovingly. I stared at her and she beamed. "Earth can talk with animals, even if they're not in their own group. So can Soul, but Dawn has a thing about Animals. She's really scared of them since that lynx attacked her when she was eight. But Soul and Earth can also shapeshift. We're very connected to animals that way. Dawn had to shapeshift and book it out of that situation. She vowed never to associate herself with animals again, but I won't judge them all because of one nasty lynx." I smiled and reached out to touch the owl. Its head swiveled to me quickly and its eyes bored into my own.

"Electric Eels and Sea Eagles are Storm and Electricity. All water-based animals have some Storm in them." Eli said, lost in his own little world. I stroked the owl's soft feathers.

"Hey, you guys wanna play a game?" Dawn asked suddenly. It's funny how we all disregarded Casey's insane anger and Lucas's....well Lucas just being himself. Honey inched away.

"That's what they all say before you get dragged into a demented murder game." She hissed, looking scared out of her mind. We all were silent for a few seconds, then burst into laughter. "Oh-okay, s-so what's the game?" Honey asked, trying to get her breathing back to normal. I laid back on the ground and tried to breathe too, but it was pretty hard to.

"Manhunt." Dawn said, bouncing on her legs. Miranda beamed.

"I'm up for a game of manhunt!" She chirped. The owl took off into the night sky. I watched it until it melded into the shadows.

"Me too. You wanna get everyone else to play? This way we can meet everyone and learn their faces." I said, sitting up. Eli noddded. Dawn shrugged.

"If that's what you want. Anyways, Eli, you're the captain of team one/ The Nightowls. Find your players and make sure it's fair. Honey, you're the captain of team two/ Speed of Light. Find your own players and make sure it's fair." Dawn said. I smiled. Of course she would do that. But it's okay. Matchmaking 101, don't put the two victims of your matchmaking on the same team. Ever. They'll have more fun beating the chizz out of them then helping them up when they fall down. And with today's economy everyone loves the enemy. Though no one ever realizes this...