Ëthia: Chapter 44 ~The Last Night~

Dax's family was just as I remembered, kind, intense, beautiful, and unified.

"My son, about to become a King!" Dax's father said proudly, "You found your own way son."

I sat at the head of the table and observed the guests that were here, it was rare, if ever, that this table was this full.

Dax's Mother, Father, two brothers, himself, and sister sat on the left of me, with Dax right beside me. While on the right side sat, Kiara, Felicity, Ivan, and Seviah.

Maybe it wasn't nearly as full as It could've been, but the company that was here made the room feel warm and full.

"My little brother, a king?" Blayze said with slight irritation, "Never thought of it, but I'm happy for you."

Dax and Blayze shared a smiled.

"You can still back out!" Dax's sister Xandra joked.

Dax let out a fake laugh, "Be careful sister, soon I'll have you thrown in the dungeon." Dax threatened with a grin.

"Big brother," Xandra laughed out, "You'd have to catch me first."

Dax started laughing and I assumed that Xandra had much quicker feet than Dax.

"Dax," I said leaning towards him, "I'm learning so much about you tonight."

Dax rolled his eyes, "We will continue to do so for the rest of our lives."

He leaned closer to me and placed a kiss on my lips.

Dax's mother was a thicker lady, and very kind, she awed at the sight of us kissing, "When will you give me some grandchildren?" She said eagerly.

"Certainly, after the ceremony we will think on it, Mother." Dax said with embarrassment.

"Really?!" She exclaimed, "How wonderful!"

Dax looked at me and I smiled, "Wonderful is a good word."

Dinner went smoothly. It was amazing to have family around, something I've never really been able to say at the table, but I was surrounded by family. It was incredible to watch everyone converse with each other, to laugh, eat, and smile.

Once the meal was over everyone went their separate ways and I found myself reading a book in the library.

I sat curled up on a couch in front of the fireplace with the distant conversations going on in the background.

"Ethia?" A gentle voice spoke.

I put my book down and looked up.

"Yes" I said with a smile on my face.

Dax's mother stood there with a blue blanket wrapped around her, "May I?" she asked referring to the same couch as me.

"Please do!" I said sitting upright.

She sat down and looked at the fire, "Dax was always different than his two brothers" She said simply, "He never really cared about power, hence why he didn't learn how to bend until you came along."

I smiled at the memory of when Dax couldn't bend water, "I remember that."

She looked at me and smiled, "You have been so good for him, do you know that?"

I smiled, "You act as if he was lost before me."

"He was." She said in a soft, serious, tone.

I looked at her, "He was?"

She put her gaze back on the fire and continued, "His brothers were always so intense, knowing that one of them would be chief one day, Dax didn't share that goal. While his brothers fought, he learned, while his brothers looked at potentials lovers, Dax observed."

"He told me one day," She continued, "'Mother, I don't want to live another day in this tree, I can't stand it, nothing happens, nothing changes, not one of these people want to grow, they just want to stay here.'"

She stopped as she looked at her hands which were playing with each other, "My son wasn't happy, and I didn't realize it. He didn't bend because there was no point, he didn't get romantically involved with any of the girls because he was afraid he would be trapped in that tree forever if he did. He was shutting down."

A tear fell from her and she quickly wiped it away.

I began to scoot towards her until she gently said "no".

"The moment that you arrived a light sparked in him, it was the most magical thing to see."

A slight smile began to grow on her face and she looked at me, "You did that. You brought my son back to life when nobody else could." Her voice began to tighten, and her breathing changed, she was about to cry but she was fighting it, "I'm not sure how you found yourself at our tree, but something had to have been guiding you, because had you not shown up I'm not sure if I'd have my Dax right now."

Against what she wanted, I scooted all the way over and gave her one of the biggest hugs I could, "Believe me when I say this," I told her, "Dax saved me."

"Welcome to the family" She cried onto my shoulder, "Welcome."

Our conversation continued for a little while longer and soon she got up and retired to bed.

I sat on the couch for just a moment longer and then made my way up to my room.

Once at the top of the stairs I saw Felicity waiting for me.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I walked over to her.

"I just wanted to make sure that you're okay." She said with a smile.

"I am," I said warmly, "Was that your only concern?"

She began to twist her hair, "How do you feel about tomorrow?"

I grabbed both of her hands and looked her directly in the eye, "I feel like for the first time, I'm undoubtedly making the right decision."

Felicity had a big smile appear on her face, "Perfect!"

"Does that cure your worries?" I asked with a smile.

"It does." She said and gave me another hug, "Sleep well."

"You too." I replied.

I dressed into my night clothes, curled up in bed, and embraced the last night as a princess.