VII. Detention's Due

Yuko rushed into his class to avoid being late. Luckily for him, he made it on time, but unfortunately, he tripped and fell to ground. This caused everyone to notice him and laugh.

"My bad guys." Yuko got up and brushed himself off. He noticed his teacher, Mr. Tanaka, staring at him an annoyed look. "Sorry Mr. T."

His teacher sighed and turned to face the board. "Just take your seat Yuko. Class has started."

Yuko took his seat right in front. He wasn't exactly always comfortable with sitting in front but he really enjoyed this class. It was Duel Monsters Mythology. Besides Duel Period, this was his favorite class.

He loved learning stories about the monsters of the game he loves more than anything. His personal favorite story is about three Legendary Dragons and Knights.

Mr. Tanaka began his lecture about the Neo-Spacians. "The Neo-Spacians were a new breed of?"

His classmates rose their hands, but Yuko decided to shout the answer. "Elemental Heroes!"

Mr. Tanaka glared at Yuko. "Correct, but next time, can you please raise your hand?"

But Yuko couldn't contain the fact he just knew more about dueling than anyone else in the class. One student claimed that Aqua Dolphin was a Light-Attribute monster. Yuko felt the need to enlighten and correct everyone. He kept shouting out answers like "Magma Neos was the Fusion form of Neos, Flare Scarab, and Grand Mole!" and "Glow Moss can transform into Twinkle Moss!"

His teacher wasn't exactly happy with Yuko. He couldn't stand disruptive students. It was his number one pet peeve. "Okay now, who remembers what force opposed the Neo-Spacians?" He stared directly at Yuko. "And raise your hand."

The class and Yuko did. Mr. Tanaka pointed his finger around the room and Yuko eagerly tried to grab his attention, but no luck. Tanaka pointed to someone else.

"It was the forces of the underworld!" She said so confidently.

Yuko sighed. "It's the Society of Light!"

Mr. Tanaka couldn't take it anymore. "That's it! Yuko Sorama, I'll be seeing you in detention!"

"What?! I only answered the question!"

"Just because you're the school's top duelist doesn't mean you can disrupt my class! Detention will be.." An idea popped into Mr. Tanaka's mind. "Since you're so smart, let's see if you can keep up with me."

"What do you mean?"

"You may be number one for the student body, but not the faculty."

Yuko caught on. "Is this a challenge? Oh you're on Mr. Tanaka!!"

"Fine then. We'll see if you're tough enough to face me, the number one duelist of the faculty. Our duel will be during lunch."

"Sounds good to me." They shook hands and gave each other determined looks. The other students cheered in anticipation.

*****

Yuko, Benta, and Tammi made their way to the cafeteria. Of course Yuko was excited, but his friends on the other half wondered what he had gotten himself into.

"Yuko, are you sure you want to duel Mr. Tanaka?" Tammi said. "He's the best teacher in school."

Benta agreed. "She's right you know. I had him back when I was in the Red Class. You don't want to deal with him."

Yuko had already pulled out his gear. He was shuffling his deck over and over again. "And that's just another reason for me to beat him. How can I be the best if I can't even beat the so-called best teacher? I already beat Kenji. Now it's Tanaka's turn."