XXXVI. Beginning of the End (Part 1)

With the school year officially at an end, Yuko made himself comfortable on his roof. It's becoming to be his favorite place to relax and think.

"You must really like this roof of yours." Jaden said as he and the other two spirits appeared.

"Sure do."

"So what are we going to do today? Track down Deltrus a bit." Yusei asked.

Yuko sighed. He really didn't want to see Deltrus at that moment. All he wanted to do was relax. "Why look for Deltrus when he can come to us? We'll just be wasting our time looking for him."

"But Yuko, don't you want to meet the last spirit?" Yuma asked.

Yuko sat up and crossed his legs. He pulled out his blank Hyper Zeo card. "He'll show when I need him."

The spirits exchanged looks. This didn't seem like the Yuko they've come to know. "What's up with you today?" They all asked.

Yuko sighed and layed back down. "Today's my grandpa's birthday."

The spirits frowned. They can relate to Yuko on so many ways.

"You really don't talk much about your family. I'd like to hear about them." Yusei requested.

Jaden and Yuma nodded. "Yeah us too."

Yuko closed his eyes. He never really liked to talk about his family. Just thinking of them makes him depressed.

He sighed. "I grew up living with my grandpa. My parents........" Yuko didn't want to say the D word. "Let's just say that I've never really met them. I can't remember anything about them. I was only a baby at the time."

Yusei connected with Yuko. He also lost his parents before he could meet them. "Same for me too. I grew up not knowing my family. I lived on the streets with my two best friends. It was hard, but it's shaped into the man I am today."

"My parents were sent to another world." Yuma joined in.

Yuko looked at the two. He felt a lot better hearing about their past. "What about you Jaden?"

Jaden scratched his head. "My parents....they uh....they're cool."

Yuko laughed. Ever since he's met Jaden, Yusei, and Yuma, he's been wondering about their time living. "Tell me more about your past. I assume you guys have been through a lot too."

The spirits laughed. "Yuko, you don't even know the worst."

*****

"The day is near my son." A voice chanted in Diron's mind. "You know what you need to do."

Diron sat in his throne and watched Yuko through a silver sphere. He couldn't afford to fail again. "Don't worry. I'm taking matters into my own hands."

*****

Alec and Asia watched over the town they used to live in. Alec grew furious just by looking at the children play in the streets.

"You see Asia!! This is why we left. They're more peaceful without us troublemakers!!"

"Calm down Alec." Asia gave her brother comfort. "There's no need to watch this if it angers you."

Alec noticed that his sister wasn't mad. She was completely calm. "How do you stay so calm? These people hated us."

Asia smiled. "I can't hold a grudge like Alec."

*****

Shun sat on a mountain cliff. He felt the wind blew calmly. The wind always gave him comfort. It helped him keep his mind off of Kenji and Tammi.