XXVIII. Family Trials

Kenji may have been fooling Yuko and Benta, but not Tammi. Unlike her friends, she could tell that her brother wasn't being himself regardless of how much he tried to fake a smile which was what made Tammi notice. Kenji didn't smile often.

Ever since his duel against Shun, he hasn't been the same. Sure he was now able to Hyper Zeo Summon which was awesome to Tammi, but that didn't seem to make him feel any better. It was obvious that Shun had left an emotional wound on Kenji. Even Tammi was hurt.

Tammi walked by herself at lunch and noticed Kenji talking to Yuko and Benta. She found it weird that he was being social. He even put on a fake smile.

"Sure Yuko, I'll try to teach how to Hyper Zeo Summon." Kenji said.

"Thanks Kenji. I really need to get it down." Yuko pulled out his deck and held up his newest editions to his Extra Deck, Kaiota and Tyrosa. "I'm suppose to awaken five cards, but so far I've only done two."

"You'll get it done. I'm sure of it."

"While you're at it Kenji, we should start planning another rematch. I'm starting to feel a bit more confident in myself." Benta added in.

Kenji laughed, but it was a weak one. Yuko and Benta noticed. "Sure thing Benta."

Tammi marched over to the boys. "Hey guys." The boys waved and Kenji nodded. Tammi stared into Kenji's eyes. She could tell that he wasn't in a good mood because his eyes were colder than ever. She remembered when Kenji's eyes glowed in that bright blue color when he dueled Alec and Asia.

The twins seemed to be frightened when it happened. It was still mystery why to Tammi, but she wanted to figure it out.

"So Kenji, I think we should talk." She hesitated a bit. "It's about Shun and your little eye glowing thing."

Kenji looked down. He wasn't quite ready to talk about everything that happened on that crazy day. "There's nothing to talk about." He began to walk off.

"Yes, there is!" She grabbed his arm. "I know that it's a touchy subject, but he's our brother. We need to figure out a way to help him."

Kenji's eyes grew colder. Tammi couldn't bare to look into them. She was afraid that they might start glowing again. Then Yuko stepped in.

"I don't think we should focus on Shun right now."

"Yeah, but we definitely have to discuss the eye thing." Benta added.

Kenji sighed. "My guess is that it's connected to our last name, Tammi."

Tammi nodded in agreement. Alec and Asia did seem a bit intimidated when Shun and Kenji started their duel. She remembered Asia saying "Two Itarus facing off. I hope this doesn't end in a mess." She also remembered Alec saying "Yeah, if those eyes of theirs turn on, it won't be pretty."

"I'm sure Deltrus and Soran know. Soran seemed a bit happy when your eyes glowed Kenji." Yuko said.

"I don't want their help. I'll find this all out on my own." Kenji began to walk away, but Tammi grabbed his arm.

"Stop being so distant!!" She was tired of Kenji's act. Kenji had always been a distant guy, but Tammi couldn't stand to see him like this. He was smiling for show and walking away whenever someone wanted to hold a conversation. Tammi was sick of it.

"Why can't you listen for once?! We're trying to help you!! You're not the only one who's last name is Itaru! It's mine too, so I'm also apart of this!! Plus Yuko and Benta are my friends!! If they want to help, let them!!"

Kenji didn't turn to look at his sister. He didn't agree. He wanted to handle this situation on his own to avoid putting Tammi in harm's way. Kenji already worried about her being friends with Yuko because of him being the Heart of Unity and all, but he feared that he ,himself, was a bigger danger than Yuko. Kenji remembered the look on Tammi's face when his eyes glowed. He scared her.