Alva Tells a Joke

"Miss Alva, what do you think of me?"
Alva paused, seemingly thinking up an answer to my question. "Hm. Well, the citizens think you flighty, even oblivious. Though they seem to be just fine with your rule. Imara finds you outright admirable-" Imara giggled on the side. "The King seems to enjoy your presence, and the young princes and princesses seem to love you, I would hope-"
"Yes, but what do you think of me?"
Alva coughed and Imara walked over to join me. "I fear, your Majesty, that you might imprison me for saying what I think."
"Was-was that a joke?" I turned to Imara. "Did Miss Alva just tell a joke?"
Imara and I burst into laughter. "I think- haha! I think she did! The joke wasn't the greatest, but the fact that Alva told it- haha!"
"I'll have you know, Miss Alva," I had to take a breath to finish my sentence. "That I would not imprison you for what you thought of me, but maybe for your pessimism."
Imara snorted and I laughed along. And Alva actually smiled. At least, I thought it was a smile. The corners of her mouth rose slightly higher than the rest of her mouth. "Miss Alva, did you just smile? I don't think I can believe it. Not unless you did it again."
Alva slowly split into a grin. She gave one, big, bellowing laugh, "HA! What I think of you, your Highness, now that's a hard question to answer. One moment, I could be appealed that you would tell a joke, and the next, I'm telling you one. I think that you could make the biggest old bear smile."
Imara grinned. "She just did make the biggest old bear smile!" I laughed so hard my sides hurt. And now, my friends joined in with me.