We Contest, and then We Sleep on the Floor

"Lavender blue, dilly dilly. Lavender green. You must love me, dilly dilly. For I love you." I sung to a baby held in my arms, sound asleep, wearing a light pink gown. My little Frigga was so tiny, I had almost forgotten how small Axel was when he was born, too. I turned to Loki, singing the last half of the chorus to him. "Lavender blue, dilly dilly. Lavender green. If you were King, dilly dilly. You'd need a Queen."
Loki was in bed, turned away from me. I doubted he was actually asleep, but he looked so peaceful. Laying Frigga in her cradle, no less than five feet from our own bed, I got into bed and snuggled under the covers. "Loki, are you asleep?"
"...no."
"But you want to be?"
"Yes."
I heard Frigga sniffle a bit and I whispered the lyrics of 'Baby Mine' from Dumbo. Miraculously, she stayed asleep.
"Was that more of Disney?" Loki grumbled.
"Yep, they have a song for literally everything."
"They have a song about a frog who wants to open a restaurant?" He was testing me.
"You don't even know," I said, thinking of Tiana.
"A boy who was raised by wild animals in the jungle?"
"Yep, Jungle Book. Or Tarzan."
"A bear who is best friends with a pig?"
"Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh. Tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff. He's Winnie the-"
"Okay, I get it," Loki sighed.
I sat up and stared distantly at the wall. "I'm not tired."
"You're never tired."
"Fair point, my dearest." Is lid off the bed, careful not to wake up Frigga.
"You're not leaving," Loki groaned. "Are you?"
I didn't answer, instead, stealing a blanket and pillow off the bed. I layed both of them on the floor by the end of the bed. This was good. I would do something like this when I couldn't sleep as a child. Push the mattress of its frame, sleep without blankets, swap everything around so that I was facing the other way, or move out onto the couch.
Loki sat up, peering at me, squinting at the not-even-bright light in out room. "What are you doing?"
"I can't sleep, so I came up with a solution. Either join me on the floor as a peasant, or stay up on your king bed without me."
"I would join you anyday. But unfortunately, it is night. And I want my bed." Loki flopped back down, staring at the ceiling.
"Fine, fine. I see how it is. You would choose comfort and temporal things over your eternal companion. It's cool."
Loki groaned, "Why must you make me feel so guilty?"
"Come on, peasant," I mused. "Bring your own pillow and blanket. I'm not sharing."
"Of course, your Majesty." Loki grudgingly rolled off the bed and laid out a crude bed next to mine.
I stared up at the ceiling and yawned, eyes watering. "I'm tired now. We can go to bed now."
"Wait, we did all that for nothing?"
"No, I'm still sleeping on the floor. And you are too."
Loki smiled, probably thinking I wasn't watching him. And then I was out, sound asleep as Loki stroked my hair.