We Jump Ahead a Few Months and Face a Problem

I fidgeted with my hands, while trying to listen to what Loki was saying. "-but I mean, if that's not something you wanna do, then I'm okay with that. I just wanted to bring it up first. But still, it's up to you."
I looked up. He was trying to look all nonchalant about it, but I could see how hopeful he was. "Taking this a step further? If that means what I think it means, than I'm all for it-" I hesitated. "Loki, I'm mortal."
"I don't care."
"Loki, I'm mortal," I repeated, slower.
"What does that have to with this?" He chuckled nervously.
I frowned. "Have you ever thought about how long-"
"Yes, Olivia! You think I don't spend every waking moment, every second I have with you thinking about how it could possibly be the last? You don't think that I know that?!" He stopped pacing in front of me and put his head in his hands. "I know that you have mear heart beats compared to me and I absolutely hate it! I don't want to live forever if forever is without you."
I reeled back a little in shock. "Loki, I'm sorry. I didn't wanna make you... flip out. But it is something we need to... think about."
Loki tapped his foot hurriedly and looked ready to slug anyone who came too close. "You know what? No. I'm not going to just think about it. I've done enough of that."
I bit my lip. I felt like crying. I had wanted to avoid this certain issue for as long as possible. Maybe if I ignored it, it would go away.
Loki jabbed his thumb at his chest. "I will find something. Something. Something..."
...
I didn't see him for another three days.
When he did get back, he looked a little frazzled. Well, a little was an understatement. His eyes were bloodshot, he looked like he would collapse if I turned the fan on, and his hands shook when he took my hands. But the smile he was wearing was the biggest I had ever seen from him.
"I-I think I have it," he said in barely a whisper.
I looked into his eyes. He looked like me after I had started and finished a book in one night. "What have you done to yourself?"
"Three all nighters, a couple skims through the entire library, and, uh, no food."
"Loki."
"I know, I know. That's not healthy. But I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. Look." He pulled a book out of thin air. Even while running off the sleep he got when he blinked, Loki still had a flair for the dramatic. "Here it says..." Loki trailed off.
"You good?"
He shook his head and blinked rapidly. "Sorry, I, uh..."
I gave him the motherly look of disapproval. "You need some sleep. We can talk about all this after. And after you eat an entire pizza. You need nutrients." He didn't get my Nacho Libre reference.
After he got three hours of sleep, (it wasn't really up to my expectations, but he did look really cute passed out on my couch) I ordered pizzas and we sat around the table while he flipped through his book. It looked like the one you might find by pulling a book off a shelf to discover that it was really a secret lever that unveiled another secret room where a book sat on an altar with flaming torches surrounding it. If you could imagine that.
Loki stopped on a page and read it half out loud and half in his head, kinda like how Bella does. He stopped at the end of the page and glanced up at me, grinning.
I eyed him. "If you could explain what that means, I'd understand better."
"All we have to do is put some of my, uh, investiture into an object that you carry with you all of the time, like a piece of jewelry, or even a fingernail and the object will feed off of mine to give you yours."
"Investiture? Like, your soul?"
"Uh, maybe?"
"That sounds an awful lot like Voldemort."
"What?"
"I can't let you do that. It sounds really wrong. Like, black magic wrong."
Loki growled. "But what if I want to? It's my choice, not yours."
"Loki, I don't think you're thinking straight. Please let me explain. Think about what giving away your soul would do to you. I may not have a lot experience with your magic, but I have seen a lot of movies. This kind of thing never works out right, for anyone. So please don't do this."
He banged his head against the table and groaned. "I thought... this would be it."
I put my arm around him. "Hey, it's not your fault. If anything, it's mine. I'm the mortal one here."
That didn't really help. He didn't cry, we weren't to that point in our relationship yet, but he looked ready to. I think he was more frustrated than anything else.
"I'm not giving up on this, Olivia. Okay?"