I Play Dress-Up

"You're sure you want to do this, your Highness?" Alva looked me up and down in my new outfit.
"Heck yeah! I can't wait to see Loki's face."
Alva sighed. "Alright."
"Brighten up, Miss Alva! We can be partners!"
"If your husband gets mad, you take the blame."
"Of course! I'm afraid I'd be more of a hinder than a help in the kitchens, and I still don't know my way around most of the castle..."
"What are you suggesting?"
"I do know my way to my room..."
"No! I prefer to keep this a secret for as long as possible."
"You can't refuse me! I'm the Queen!"
"Not anymore, you're not."
I huffed. That was one thing I hadn't thought of. I had asked Alva if I could be her 'trainee' for the day, and after a lot of persuasion (and a little bribing) she finally said yes. Grudgingly. I had gotten all dressed up and even did my hair. Alva told me the rules: stay quiet, do as I was told, and to not call her Miss Alva. Since she was technically my superior, I had to comply. But in return, she had to call me Olivia, and I could tell that that made her very uncomfortable.
Someone I didn't recognize came into the room with a bundle of something in her arms. "This has to go up to his and her majesties rooms-" She paused, and then whispered to Alva, "Is that the Queen?"
Alva nodded. "That is. She wanted to see how we run things down here."
"This is an inspection?"
Alva glanced at me. I nodded. "Er, yes," she said.
The maid didn't look away from me when she told Alva again, "I need someone to bring this to his and- well, just his Majesty."
"I'll find someone who can-"
"I'll do it!" I interrupted. I snatched the parcel away from her and dashed out before Alva could stop me. I sprinted up the stairs and almost ran into a few guards, and they seemed to be ready to throw something at me before someone recognized me. Pity. I wanted to be more incognito.
I made it to mine and Loki's room and walked in (which, with hindsight, wasn't the smartest thing to do while posing as a maid). Loki was inside reading a book. Does he ever do anything else? Then I realized there were several copies of himself standing around him. Ah, practicing. I see.
I heard Loki sigh, but it came from one staring dramatically out the window. I was a bit mad at myself for not being able to spot the real one. Loki dismissed the illusions. "I believe, forgive me if I'm mistaken, that I expressly ordered that I not be disturbed- Olivia?"
I giggled. "I don't believe it appropriate, your Highness, for you to call be me by my first name."
"Olivia, what the heck are you doing?"
"If you insist, your Majesty. I was tasked with bringing this up to you and the Queen." I held up the bundle. "If I may ask, where is the Queen now?"
"She's playing dress up. Olivia, I must-"
"Then I'll just leave it here." I set the bundle down in the doorway and Loki did an epic facepalm.
Alva finally caught up with me and when she saw Loki, she quickly curtsied. "Oh! Your Majesty. It was the Queen's idea. I must apologize-"
"You let her...do whatever she's doing?"
They were talking about me like I was their child who got called down to the principal's office for not acting my age.
"I-"
"Your Majesty? I'm sorry, Alva- er, my superior was only following orders that came directly from the Queen. If this has in anyway gone against your orders, you must see that I suffer the punishment." Man, I was good at this apologizing stuff.
Loki eyed me. "You've done a surprisingly good job at acting your part... Fine! Have fun, but I expect you back here by eight."
"I have a curfew now? Oh, that is not what I should have said. Of course, your Majesty."
"A word of advice? Pretend you're new here. A young girl who has dreamed of living and working in the palace all her life. Everything is so exciting, and you can't help but bubble over with enthusiasm."
Alva rolled her eyes. "It does fit her, now, doesn't it?"
I curtsied and adopted Alva's mannerisms. "Thank you, your Highness, for being so forgiving."
Loki sighed, and smiled. "Now go on! My order to not be disturbed still stands. And I believe you still have a job to do."
I followed Alva out of the room and closed the doors behind me. For the rest of the day, I did exactly what Alva told me to do, and several others discovered who I really was.
When Alva finally dragged me into the kitchens, (my worst nightmare) the time was seven thirty and I had an excuse to leave early. I quickly changed out of my shift and into my own clothes. I ran upstairs and flopped on my bed before eight, so ha.
Loki was waiting for me. "Did you have fun?" He grinned.
I rolled over and stared at him. "Tomorrow morning, they are all getting a raise."