Chapter 75

"Has it worked?" George whispered to Fred, as they ducked behind Angelina and Alicia who were eating breakfast. The pair were spying on Belle who was sat with Luna, smiling and reading over the new edition of the Quibbler. 

Fred furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "No, her hair is still blue, not different at all," he told George who popped his head up as well. "It's weird, it should've worked."

George nodded his head, "You've got a weird one, Freddie, amazing but weird."

 Fred cracked a grin, staring off at Belle, not realising that Angelina and Alicia had moved out of the way and allowed Belle to spot them. She waved them over just as Luna left the table. The pair hopped over to her taking a seat either side of the girl. Fred pulled her into his side and stole some of her toast. 

"So, why were you guys being creepy and spying on me from afar?" Belle asked them, wiping away the crumbs that had fallen from Fred's mouth onto his sweater. 

"No reason." He told her, a mouth full of food. 

Belle eyed the boys curiously but chose not to press the matter, "Can I die? I have potions first." She groaned, her head falling onto the table and her hair making a halo around her.

"I'd rather not have a dead girlfriend," Fred finished his toast and rubbed her back, "who else am I going to try and change their hair colour and it fails?"

Her head shot up, her eyes glaring at him, "you did what?!"

"Did I say 'I' did it? I meant George, y'see sometimes I forget which twin I am." Fred stood up, Belle turned to face George and instinctively he covered his nose. 

"He's lying! It was Lee!"

Lee, who was just entering the hall, having slept in that morning, spotted the three and skipped over to them joyously. However, he was met with the evil look from Belle. "Jordan!" She growled standing up. His eyes widened and he darted out of the hall, Belle following behind him. "Come back here!"

SIghing with relief, the twins hugged one another. "I think we should go after them, she'll kill him." Said Fred a little while later. 

"Better you than me, she's evil!" 

Fred thought for a moment and nodded, "Yeah, you're right, more toast sounds delightful."

"I didn't mention toa- OH!" 

* * *

 "I can't believe you did that!" Fred followed Belle out to the Black Lake after lessons had finished, they made their way to the tree that they had carved into underneath the five other carvings and sat down. 

"Did what?" Belle asked innocently, pulling her knees to her chest for warmth, making sure her skirt was wrapped around her and not showing her knickers. (It was his idea to come outside in January).

"You just let him go! You didn't do anything to Lee! Are you feeling okay?" He looked down at her, pulling a face. 

Belle nodded, snuggling into his side trying to get warmth from his jumper. Fred wrapped his arms her and rested his chin on her head. "I'm perfectly fine, cold no thanks to you but I'm fine in other respects," Belle replied, her breath forming circles of steam as she spoke. 

Fred snickered quietly, staring out across the lake which had only recently melted from the snow as it was drawing closer to February. "Do you think the merpeople hate the winter? With the water being cold and stuff?" He asked randomly. 

Belle shrugged, "Dunno, I suppose they might not feel the cold as they spend all day every day in there other than when they mate and give birth. My dad told me when he was helping me with my work over the summer, apparently, there have been cases of half-merpeople before, although it is a rarity."

"Look at you with all the facts!" Fred poked her reddening nose. 

"Is that supposed to be funny?" 

"What? No, Belle, I was just saying. I didn't mean for it to come out like that!" She nodded, barely, staying quiet as she took body warmth from him. Fred sighed, his back pressing further into the tree and his fingers running through Belle's long hair which fell to her hips. "You know I wouldn't comment on that stuff, Bella, I don't care if you struggle in school, I just want you happy and to be honest education is like a dementor. It sucks the happiness out of everyone except teachers and Granger."

"Would you treat me differently if I was intelligent?" 

"You are intelligent." Fred told her, "Maybe not so much academically, but you are intelligent. Intelligence doesn't just like in the academia of life. As for your question, I don't have a clue. You want to know why?"

"Yeah."

"Because I fell for you, not anyone else. Just you. You can't change the way you were when I first met you, you can change who you are in the future but I didn't fall for future Belle, I fell for the Belle I met a year ago. That doesn't mean my feelings will change for you, but it's all about when I fell for you. That's what I am trying to say. If you become the most academic girl in the world, that won't change how I feel. Does that make sense?"

"Not at all." 

"Great, that's what I was going for. I was trying to say and show you, that no matter what I will like you all the same. How about now?"

"Very clear, thank you, Freddie."

"You are very welcome." He smiled as she started to stand up. "Where're you going?"

"I want to go closer to the lake." She shrugged and held her hand out to him, pulling the heavy boy up with her. 

The pair stood at the shore of the lake, the tips of their shoes barely touching the water's edge. "This is nice." Fred commented, his nose scrunched up, "Staring out across a lake we have seen many times before." Belle rolled her eyes and shoved him in. When he emerged, his hair stuck to his face and he spat out water. "HEY!"

"That was for trying to prank me and blame Lee, she cupped water in her hand and threw it at Fred. "And that was for being snarky then!"

"I have just been very romantic and you repay me with this?!"

"Honey, this is the only reason I agreed to come outside with you. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going back inside to warm up!"

"Belle! You can't just leave me!" Fred called splashing around as he tried to stand up but failed with the weight of his robes. "And she's gone....OW!" Fred jumped up, the wight of his robes now not restraining him. "Something just bit my arse!"