Chapter 73

It was Christmas Day and that evening the ball would take place. Belle has decided to go, but not with anyone, and the likelihood of her actually dancing was slim. She was going for the food. Rumours had spread saying it would be very fancy food and she hadn't even looked at fancy food before in her life and wanted to try some. Can you blame her? Food is food.

Tugging on her dress, Belle fixed the shoulders so that they hugged the top of her arms, and not on her shoulders. Her short black dress with a white skirt and black lace around the hem hugged her figure and showed off her pale legs and bottom of her thighs. She brushed out the skirt and turned to the mirror on the bathroom. Her hair was curled and fell down her over her bare shoulders, with two braids connecting at the back of her heard and wrapped in a little braided bun.

Smiling at herself, she wiped the dash of red lipstick from her teeth before exiting the bathroom. Luna was sat on Belle's bed, playing with her necklace but looked up upon the sound of Belle's feet padding on the floor in her flat black pumps.

The younger girl gasped, her eyes widening at Belle who stood in front of her, "you look pretty!" She told her, standing up herself.

"Luna, speak for yourself, you look bloody amazing!" Belle responded, admiring Luna's long yellow dress with white lace wrapped around her bodice.

"Thank you, Belle, shall we go? I heard they have a lot of pudding."

The two girls made their way to the Great Hall, talking about the types of pudding their could be to offer and when they arrived in the hall, they were greeted by absolute icey bliss. Belle's mouth dropped at the sight of stupendous ice sculptures and the icy fires, the whole hall looked like a wintry wonderland that she had read about in a muggle book.

Crowds of students all chatted together and complimented how they all looked. Belle's eye flickered around the room, trying to spot Fred to see how he looked. She was sure he looked great, but it would be nice to see him dressed up for once.

She found him.

Fred looked amazing, his hair was neat and his dress robes weren't crinkled like most of his clothing usually was. Beside him stood George who, too, looked great and both Angelina and Alicia looking utterly gorgeous in front of them.

She couldn't deny that her heart fell, watching him laugh and hold Angelina in his arms. It was like someone repeatedly throwing rocks at her chest. It hurt too much so she had to look away before any tears fell.

Luna went off to talk to Ginny who was asked by Neville, leaving Belle alone. She tucked herself into a corner of the room and watched as the for champions waltzed in, arm in arm, with their partners, starting the first dance.

Cho looked beautiful in her traditional robes smiling brightly at Cedric who couldn't stop his cheeks from burning red. He caught Belle's eye mid-dance, mouthing a short, 'thank you' her way to which she replied with a curt nod. If he hadn't of asked her to speak with Cho, the likelihood of him and her going to the ball was slim, (in his eyes anyway). Belle thought it would have happened nonetheless.

When the slow dance stopped, the Weird Sisters, a wizarding band that Belle has never listened too, we're playing their upbeat songs live for the ball and the students around Belle looked to be having the time of their lives.

However, the girl sat on a chair in that same corner, picking at the posh food that sat on her plate. It turns out the higher quality, posh food was not what Belle enjoyed. She didn't like any of it, and she was pretty sure the punch was spiked too, no doubt by Lee.

Belle sighed noticing Ron and Harry sat down next to their dates at a table looking as if they wanted to be anywhere but there, she knew the feeling. Why did she agree to come?

Ah yes, the food.

She played with the hem of her dress not caring about what was going on around her until someone sat down beside her. "Why are you here on your own?" Asked Professor Flitwick, who had just landed on his feet after crowd surfing like the cool guy he is. Belle shrugged, not quite the response her head of house would have liked. "Didn't anyone ask you, dear?"

"No, I would have turned them down anyway if anyone did." She told him, finally looking up.

"How come?"

"I was under the impression I had a boyfriend, Professor, but it's fine. I don't mind being alone." Belle looked down once again, only to have Professor Flitwick pat her knee.

He shook his head, "that is not right. You, young lady, have lived far too long just by yourself and that is not right. Now, Mr Weasley is very slow when it comes to working out his feelings, it's very noticeable. I suggest, just go out there, dance with some people, even if they don't know you, and have fun, he'll soon realise what he's missing." Professor Flitwick sent a wink in Belle's direction before hopping from his chair and becoming lost in the crowd.

Belle didn't do as she was told.

She didn't think dancing with anyone else would make their situation any better, no matter what Fred himself was doing right now with Angelina in his arms dancing to a slow song that had just come on.

After a while, the room began to get stuffy despite the ice features in there and Belle got up and left for some air. As she followed the corridors she partly hoped that this would be like a love story in a book or a movie where the guy would chase after the girl and apologise a thousand times, begging for forgiveness and they would share a tender kiss under the moonlight. Yet, at the same time, she wished it wouldn't happen. Never had she ever felt more confused by other people and as far as she knew she hadn't done anything wrong, so any apology would not be forgiven because she wouldn't know why he would be apologising.

Leaning against an archway that lead out to the courtyard, she let out a breath that rolled visibly in the air as her eyes grazed up at the sky. Hearing footsteps behind her, she thought it was Fred. Boy, could she be anymore wrong!

"You should be in the hall or your common room." His monotone voice said.

"Professor, I will be returning to the hall in a few moments, I just needed some air." Belle told Professor Snape, sending him a sideway glance.

"I do recall there being air in the hall."

"Not fresh air, Professor." Belle retorted, empathising the word Professor with a deeper tone.

He scoffed, "just like your father. Perceived as innocent, but you are nothing less than a completely rude beast." Snape spat, not expecting the shy girl to dart around with an evil look in her eye.

"Don't. You. Dare. Say. Anything. About. My. Father." Belle said through gritted teeth.

"If you're going to attack me, it's the wrong night, the full moon is next week."

"How dare you!" A voice said from behind the pair.

Belle's eyes fell from glaring at Professor Snape and onto the owner of the voice. Her glare softened, but not by much.

What a saviour he is.

A/n- Belle's dress>>