Chapter 62

Belle awoke in the night, unable to sleep, the enemies of the dark mark being cast into the sky and the shrill screams haunting her dreams. She attempted to go back to sleep but she couldn't.

She climbed out of bed and left the room, creeping down the hall and pushing her father's bedroom door open quietly. Remus was fast asleep, snores tumbling from his parted lips and he didn't look at all stressed like he usually did. Shutting the door, Belle reaches the bed and tapped Remus' shoulder lightly.

Groaning slightly, Remus yawned as his eyes opened partly and he could just make out Belle beside him. "Sweetheart? What's wrong?" He asked her.

"I..um..." Belle started, unsure with what to say to him.

"You has a nightmare?" Remus assumed and she nodded.

Shuffling over in the bed, he gently tugged her arm and allowed her to lay down beside him. Remus wrapped Belle into a hug like he did to Harley and rubbed her back in circles.

"I'm sorry for waking you."

"Shh, don't worry about it. Let's just get some sleep, your dreams shouldn't be bad now." He told her. Belle nodded and rested her head on her father's chest holding onto his nightshirt and closing her eyes.

Remus kept soothingly rubbing her back until he felt her breathing deepen and her grip on his shirt loosen as her body relaxed. Once that happened he closed his eyes and let his own body relax and fall back to sleep, his breathing falling in time with that of his daughters.

Lyall was the first to wake up that morning and like usual he got the breakfast made and set it onto the table.

He waited a few minutes and couldn't hear a sound from upstairs and decided to go and wake Remus and Belle up. Checking Belle's room he didn't find her but found her in with Remus, curled up into his side. It was like Remus and Harley all over again. Summoning the muggle camera that once belonged to his wife, he took a picture of the father-daughter moment before waking the pair up.

Stroking the hair out of her face, he woke Belle up first. Her eyes fluttered open and a yawn escaped her lips.

"Morning, grandpa." She greeted sleepily.

"Morning, dearie. Breakfast is ready, why don't you head on down there whilst I wake your dad." Lyall said helping her out of Remus' arms and onto her feet. Belle nodded as he kissed her forehead and padded out of the room.

Lyall wasn't so nice at waking up Remus. He took a pillow and smacked him on the head. "Wake up lazy-arse. Breakfast is ready" He told his son who looked pissed.

"Oh good morning, Father, what do I owe the pleasure of being beaten?"

"Less of the attitude. I can still ground you." Lyall smirked.

"But I'm an adult."

"And you're under my roof." Lyall retorted and spun on his heel, swaggering out of the room leaving Remus sighing.

In the dining room, Lyall sat down beside Belle and sipped some coffee.

"Is dad awake."

Lyall nodded, "I haven't been able to wake him up like that in years. Oh, it felt so good to do that again!" Belle watched her grandfather in confusion, "I beat him up with a pillow."

The girl snorted and tried to muffle it with her hand as her father entered the room, his hair all over the place just as the front door opened and closed.

"Morning Lupins." Madison greeted as Lyall patted the seat beside him with a plate of breakfast for the woman. Glancing at Remus who was eating with a sour look on his face she laughed. "Did you do the famous Lyall wake up call?" She asked Lyall who nodded proudly.

"Never gets old." Madison laughed.

Belle grinned before turning to her father. "I spoke to Harry the other day. He was wondering if there was anyway you could pass on a letter to Sirius for him."

Remus and Madison looked at the girl in confusion. "Well, Sirius is currently in hiding." Madison told her with a hint of sadness in her voice. Belle picked up on this and so did the other Lupin's.

"I can get him a letter as long as Harry doesn't address it straight to Sirius, if he uses Padfoot of Snuffles, I can get it to him." Remus said, throwing a look to Madison who didn't look up from her plate.

Belle nodded, "okay. I'll write to Harry and tell him. Are you okay, Madison?"

The woman's head shot up quickly, nodding. "I'm fine, sweetheart." She told Belle.

"Are you sure? I noticed it back in the Shrieking Shack. Do you even like Sirius?"

"Belle that's probably not-"

"Sorry." Belle apologised looking down. "I shouldn't have asked."

Madison shook her head and leaned past Lyall to hold onto Belle's hand. "It's alright. To be perfectly honest, I'm torn. Sirius and I have got history and when he was imprisoned I didn't know what to do. I don't know where we stand now and I feel terrible because I doubted him. I actually believed he had done it. I should've known better but I believe he did. If I'd have known he didn't I would've gone after Pettigrew myself.

When I saw where you dad was running off to and saw Sirius' name on the map. I panicked. When we got to the shack I still believe he had done it. I was prepared to hit him and kill him to be perfectly honest. But when o heard that Pettigrew had done it I didn't know what to do. I couldn't look at him for many reasons, he looked like utter shite, he was there and I realised how much I missed him. It was eating me up inside knowing I had believed that he had done it. When I should've known better-"

"We both should've." Said Remus wrapping her into a side hug. "We both believed he had done it but what did we have against him at the time? There was so much evidence of him doing so."

Belle could feel the sadness in the air and nodded. "People make mistakes. I'm sure Sirius would understand. The way he was looking at you said it all."

"You think so?"

"Of course."