Chapter 72

It was nearing closer to Christmas when a ball was announced

It was nearing closer to Christmas when a ball was announced. The Yule Ball. A tradition of the Tri-wizard tournament. All Ravenclaws were given a lesson on how to do a traditional dance by Flitwick one afternoon but basically mutilated it. Needless to say, both Luna and Belle were not the best dancers and broke traditions by dancing with each other, but not correctly as they gave up and did some dance that Luna invented. In Belle's defence, she found it very fun. Twirling in a circle waving her arms about in a wave-motion-very entertaining.

However, all of the fuss caused by the tournament meant that many students were missing out on their studies. Not that many were complaining. Yet, Snape had enough. He was beyond annoyed with all of the hoo-har and declared a study hall for everyone. The morning reserved for the Slytherins and Hufflepuffs and the afternoon reserved for the Gryffindors and Ravenclaws.

On a good note. According to Hermione, Ron and Harry were back being best friends. Ron admitting that he was jealous and other such things. Leaving the group of three happy.

The same couldn't be said for Fred and Belle. He was still ignoring her and it was worse than last year.

Hermione has invited Belle to sit beside her so that she could offer guidance discreetly when Snape wasn't looking. Of course, Belle agreed appreciatively, Luna sat the other side of her. Until she noticed Fred, George and Lee sifting the other side of the golden trio, totally avoiding her.

Ron and Harry were complaining about girls and how they state in packs making it impossible for them to ask any one of them out for a date to Yule Ball.

Hermione and Belle were listening in, amused at how clueless the pair were, and Fred's rolled up ball of parchment didn't go unnoticed by them.

Better act quick. Otherwise all of the good ones will be gone.

And yet again, Ron said something stupid. Or what should have seemed like a stupid question if the circumstances were different. "Who are you going with then?" He asked Fred, who smirked in reply.

Everyone on that table expected him to say Belle.

He didn't.

He rolled up another bit of parchment and threw it at Angelina. He asked her whilst doing some little dance, that looked awfully ridiculous. She agreed, and asked to talk later. Looking at Belle who stared down at her work.

Ron then proceeded to ask Hermione out. "You're a girl right?" Was how he started.

Oh brilliant. Are most Weasley boys so dumb? Or is it just Ron and Fred. Thought Hermione, rolling her eyes.

"I have already been asked, for you information!" She snatched up her work, taking Belle's with her, handing them over to Snape and returned taking the rest of her books and her bag, taking Belle's hand and pulling her up. "And I said yes! C'mon, Belle, we'll go over some Herbology." The girls hurried out of the hall, and immediately they stopped. Hermione turning to the older girl.

"Are you and Fred still together?" She asked Belle.

"I don't know." Belle admitted, wiping her eyes that brimmed with tears. "I really don't."

"But I don't understand. You and him, what happened?"

Belle shrugged her shoulders looking down, "I don't know. I was speaking with Cedric, then the next minute I know he spits some random stuff and storms off. You know the rest."

Hermione wrapped her arm gently around Belle in a comforting hug, "Sometimes I wonder whether all brains went to Bill, Charlie, Percy and Ginny. Skipping the other three."

"So do I." Belle laughed, half-heartedly. "Can we just stop talking about this and do some studying?"

Hermione nodded and they made this way to the library, "Can I tell you a secret?" Belle nodded in response. "I do have a date. I wasn't lying. I know he thinks I am. And it's Viktor Krum."

"No way!"

Hermione blushed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ears. "Yes. Now, I don't know about a date. But are you still going to the ball?"

Belle shrugged, something she seemed to be doing a lot lately. "I don't know. Maybe. I'm not going to get another date. For all I know, we're still together. I'm not going to swan off with someone else. I think that's wrong..." she trailed off. "I really liked Angelina. She's so nice, I can understand why Fred chose her-"

"Belle stop! You are better than this. Don't put yourself down. Go to that ball. Date or not. Knock that idiots socks off and show him what he is missing. If if doesn't apologise of anything then-excuse my vulgar language- stuff him!"

Belle found herself smiling at Hermione. She was so glad that she had Hermione to talk to in that moment. Luna was great, but she wasn't the best when it came to comforting or advice. Hermione, however, knew exactly what to say.

"Thanks 'mione." She said. "I just want to know what I have done."

"You probably haven't done anything. From his and Ron's track record, they tend to misread things. Truth be told, George is rather smart. Fred is quite clueless and naive. Just give him some time and hopefully some sense will be knocked into his brain."

"You're right."Belle returned, tightening her pony tail. "Let's just get some Herbology into our brains, eh?"

"Yes, Let's."