High School Nightmare (1)

Just for reference: Freshman=9th grade, Sophomore=10th grade, Junior=11th grade, Senior=12th grade.

School is never like the movies. They always lie, exaggerate, or make it completely different to the normal high school experience. There was only one good thing you looked forward to do in high school, and that was to have a blast with your best friend Benedict Cumberbatch.

Every since his family moved right next door to you in the US, you and Ben have been inseparable. Whatever you did, he did and vice versa. It didn't matter if you joined the book club, or he joined a sports team; the both of you would do it together.

High school seemed very promising, and exciting. There were a lot of promises exchanged between you and him. From what you and him heard, high school changes a lot of friendships and it changes the students. You didn't want to change or somehow break apart from Ben, and he felt the same way.

It was the first day of high school. You and Ben were freshmen walking onto the school campus. As you walked by, you could see the senior and juniors walking along their familiar halls. It was very tempting for Ben not to look at the very provocative clothes they were wearing. The extreme short shorts, the revealing tang tops, and the cleavages were very visible.

"Yikes," you commented once you passed a senior with her ass practically showing. "High school is nothing like I imagined," Ben confessed even though he hasn't spent an hour on that campus. "Just wait a few hours, I'm pretty sure the high school experience will catch up with us," you joked around.

"Oh yeah," Ben sarcastically responded, "You might want to start buying more revealing shorts and tiny shirts so you can fit in." You chuckled, "God, I don't think I'll ever be able to wear that. It's just not me." Ben smiled and nodded, "I agree. All you need is Pink Floyd shirts, jeans and converse to look a thousand more times better than they do."

You slightly blushed, but hid it very well. The both of you continued to walk to your first class. Ben walked you to you first hour class, which was English. "It sucks that we don't have the same classes," he stopped beside the room door. "We have four classes together out of six," you chuckled, "and I'm not including lunch."

Ben jokingly sighed, "I guess." The first bell rung, there were seven minutes left for every student to get to class. You gave Ben a hug, "I'll see you next hour." Ben returned the embrace, "You better not show up with short shorts." You laughed and departed from the hug, "Oh God no. I will never wear anything like that; that's a promise."

***

That's what you wanted to believe, wearing short shorts was no where near your mind the first weeks of school. During the first few weeks, you and Ben spent your time in class and hanging out after school and during lunch. You sat with you regular friends from middle school.

It was all going smoothly and, to be completely honest, you were enjoying high school. As the month passed by, you began to notice that more people began to notice who you were in the classes that you didn't have with Ben.

"Oh my God, you have really beautiful eyes," a senior commented in your ceramics class. You timidly smiled, "Thank you." She continued to design her first project before turning to you, "Have you ever considered joining the cheerleading team?" You sheepishly shook your head, that thought has never crossed your mind.

"I'm serious, you're absolutely stunning; you should go to try-outs," she smiled at you. "I don't...think that's for me," you replied. "Cheerleading or pom could be for anyone. Have you ever tried it?" she enquired. "No," you sincerely responded. "Then why do you think it's not for you if you haven't given it a chance. It's just a try-out, it won't harm you," she pointed out.

It was a ridiculous thing to think about. At first you weren't going to do it, but then you began to be given similar comments and compliments from other senior and junior cheerleaders. The try-outs were soon, and now you were considering them.

Ben didn't know about this; you and him were walking home. "So..," you started out, "I think I'm going to join something." Ben hummed and raised his brow, "If it's a club, I'll join, but it'll be harder for us to join the same team." You chuckled, "That's true, but I think you can join this." Ben smiled, "What is it?"

"It's, erm, it's cheerleading," you were nervous to tell him. "Cheerleading..," he repeated after you and kept silence. "Yeah..," he dragged his word, "I don't think I'll join that with you." You and him stopped in front of your house, "I understand, and it would also be a bit weird since you would be the only guy there."

Ben rubbed the back of his neck, "Yeah." There was a silence that began to grow between the both of you; a silence neither of you have experienced before. It was getting awkward. "Should we meet up after dinner to do some homework?" Ben questioned. "Actually, I have to practice a few moves for the try-outs," you responded.

"Oh," Ben seemed a bit hurt, "ok, then I'll see you tomorrow." You nodded your head and gave him a quick hug before you went inside your house.

***

After a week of practicing and a week of attending try-outs, you got the results and found out that you made the pom team. Like you were a freshman, and had low experience in gymnastics, you weren't qualified to be in the cheerleading squad. That was fine with you, at least you were in a team.

"So did you make it?" Tom Hiddleston asked at the lunch table. "I did! I made it into the pom team," you cheerfully delivered the news. "That's great [Y/n]," Tom replied. Ben smiled at the news, but he didn't seem as excited as the rest.

You checked the time and saw that there was 10 minutes before lunch was over; you began to gather your things. "Where are you going?" Ben questioned. "I told my new friends, the pom team, that I would join them the last 10 minutes of lunch," you put a few things inside your backpack. Your table, which was filled with guys, gave each other glances.

"Oh, ok," Ben gave you a fake smile, "then I'll see you in 10 minutes." You nodded your head before you walked to your other friends.

*

That's how it was for a few times. It went from 10 minutes, to 15 minutes and so on. Slowly, but surely, you began to disappear from your table and friends. Ben didn't like this change; he didn't like it one bit.

After taking one good look at your new group of friends, he knew they were the popular kids of the school. It was a mix of seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen. He could see every fake smile that was shared at your new table and the fake compliments that were shared.

Ben was ok with you hanging out with them, but he wasn't remotely ok with you changing into one of them. He knew you were changing because you approached him one morning and commented on his shirt saying it was cute. "There's nothing wrong with me saying that," you protested while walking to school with him.

"Yeah, I know...but you've seen this shirt around 100 times already," Ben pointed out. You didn't say anything else and kept quite. After that, you began to hangout less and less with him and your old friends. They always saw you pass by with the popular ones.

You still considered them your friends, so you waved at them when passing in the hallway, but you never really talked to them anymore. "She's really changed," Tom pointed out one lunch. "Yup," Ben listlessly responded as he gazed up from his food. He had a perfect view to your new table.

"Does she still talk with you?" Tom questioned. "Rarely; she's never around anymore. We don't walk to and from school together or hangout after school because she's too busy at football games or at practice," Ben sounded bitter.

You stood up from your table. Ben saw the way you had to slightly pull your short shorts down and pull up your shirt because your cleavage was showing. You were wearing all the things you promised you wouldn't wear.