A Night to Remember

A/n: I tried my best to research, I hope I got this right. It's in Ben's perspective. Requested by: @Alpha_KS

"Are you sure we're at the right place?" I fixed my kurta as Tom and I stepped out of the vehicle. "Yes," Tom gave his car keys to the guy at the valet. "The place is empty," my eyes wandered around the place. Green and white drapes hung around the place accompanied by beautiful flowers that complemented the color scheme.

When my eyes went further into the garden venue, there was a huge, breathtaking, decorated canopy. There were a few people still checking lights and testing the speakers. "Come with me," Tom led me further into the garden. We were walking to the decorated canopy; most of the people were there working on a few things.

"Can we please hang a light in that corner," someone commanded and walked around the canopy. "Hey [Y/n]," Tom called towards her. She turned round, her serious face now wore a bright smile. "Tom! Oh it's so good to see you again," she hugged him.

"You look stunning, darling," Tom kissed her cheek as they departed from the hug. "Thank you. You don't look so bad yourself," she playfully raised her brows. "Thank you. [Y/n], I'd like you to meet my best mate. This is Benedict. Ben, this is [Y/n], a great friend of mine," Tom stepped aside so she could see me.

"Hi, lovely meeting you," I extended my hand towards her. "I've heard marvelous things about you. Tom is very fond of you," she shook my hand and smiled. "I would hope so," I said attempting to make them laugh. She quietly giggled. "I'm glad you two made it," [Y/n] switched her gaze towards Tom, "I'm sorry I asked you to come this early, but I need you to rehearse for the baraat."

"It was no problem at all. I do apologize for not being able to make it to the rehearsals," Tom said. "No problem at all. There's going to be someone right now that's going to take you outside and then to a room and explain to you everything," she explained.

[Y/n] spoke into the walkie talkie that she had, someone then came to pick up Tom and led him elsewhere. "Oh yeah Ben, I guess just relax at a table or something," Tom said to me as he was taken away. I heard [Y/n] giggle and slightly shake her head.

"Don't worry, you'll have my company," she smiled up at me. "Thank you," was all I muttered out. We both gazed to the canopy, I should've done some research before coming to this wedding. I was becoming curious as to why they had that there and why it was so decorated.

"I'm sorry for this question, but what is that?" I pointed to the canopy. "That's the mandap. It's where the bride and groom will preform there mangal phera. Then they will take the saptapadi," she explained. [Y/n] gazed at me, she saw my confused face and began to laugh. I never knew a laugh could cause my stomach to twist and churn.

"I'll explain more in depth," she said and guided me to a nearby table. We sat fairly close to each other and we still gazed at the mandap. "Something that will certainly surprise you is the baraat, it's the grooms procession. It's just him arriving on a decorated horse while everyone around him dances to the beat of a dhol, a drum. After that's done, the priest, bride, groom and parents sit beneath the mandap. The ceremony then proceeds with the kanya daan, this is where the parents give the bride away," she passionately explained.

I'm gathering all the information she was telling me. "The couple then join hands and walk around the agni, the fire, in a ritual called mangal phera. They will walk four times around the enclosed fire, each completed circle will represent the four stages of life. From there, they will take the saptapadi. This is where they take seven steps and vow to support each other and live happily together. Finally, the groom will apply a red powder to the center of the bride's forehead and tie a black beaded necklace around her neck, symbolizing she's now a married woman," [Y/n] finished.