Sorry (3)

You dread your literature class, it was the one class you and Ben had together. Every single time it was the same procedure. He sat down in class and it just seemed like Olivia wanted to suck the life out of him. You would go to work and he would be there at the same time ordering different drinks, sometimes he would order one and some days two.

When the café was lonely you saw him sitting in the corner listening to some music while he was studying on his laptop. You used to stick silly stickers on there and he would leave them on until you replaced them. As you cleaned a nearby table you saw there were no stickers on it, only the residue of the glue.

Tom Higham, a member of Aquilo entered the café. He went to the table you were cleaning and thought it was a good idea to spook you. You let a small yelp catching just a few looks but you quickly covered it up. Tom and you silently giggled as you rested your hand on his shoulder. Ben was seeing this from his corner.

"Yes Tom?" you enquired as you calmed down your giggles. "I just came to tell you that.. we have a night here. We qualified thanks to your song," he silently cheered. "Shut up," you said in excitement. "Oh my god congrats, you'll do great. What night will you be performing?" you weren't aware Ben was listening.

"Friday night, you need to be there with us. You won't have to sing if you don't want to, but you're a composer, you have to be with us," he nudged at your arm. You thought for a second, you wanted to say no but this was your time to be with the glory of your friends, "Fine, I won't sing I'll just stand aside on the stage."

"Great. Thanks for the amazing song," he embraced you in a tight hug and you returned it. You caught a glimpse of Benedict, he was awkwardly shifting in his seat. Tom kissed you on the cheek and went away. You giggled and shook your head in amazement. This happiness couldn't be ceased by anyone, or so that's what you thought.

You continued to wipe down the table. "Is he my replacement?" Benedict spoke from his table. You gave him a nasty glare, "That doesn't concern you."

"Actually it does. We need to talk," he stayed seated. "Can't, I'm working," you began to walk away. Ben looked to his watch, "Your shift ends in 5 minutes, I'll be waiting outside." You were left speechless. A part of you didn't want to see him, but you also wanted to be by his side and listen to what he had to say.

The last minutes of your shift you ordered yourself a drink and Ben's favorite coffee. As said, he was waiting for you outside. You passed him his drink, he looked at it suspiciously. "Oh come on, if it makes you feel any better I didn't make it," you were contemplating on leaving at that moment.

He took a sip, "Sorry, thank you." You seated yourself in a chair and let silence overcome the both of you. "Aren't you going to ask my why I'm not in Manchester?" Ben enquired. "You're the one that wanted to talk," you took a sip of your drink. "[Y/n], I'm trying to have a decent conversation with you but your stubbornness is getting in the way. Grow up for fucks sake," he set his coffee on the table and leaned back in his chair.

"You want me to talk? Ok. Where would you like me to start? Let's go back 2 months ago," you were beginning to get heated. "I didn't mean--" You cut him off, "You wanted me to talk. Now let me talk. The night of our breakup, I was completely devastated. You were my past, my present and I thought you'd be my future but I was wrong. You insinuated I would be a whore when you left to Manchester. Do you know how it feels to be called something you're not by the love of your life?"

He staggered his inhale when you basically confessed he was the love of your life. There was no response. "You never doubted me during our relationship, there was so much trust between us. We were a power couple, there was no me without you. There was an equal amount of jealousy that worked as a coat for us, but you blew it that night. If you truly knew me then there was no point in having that argument at all," the sensation of a ball began to form in the back of your throat.

You could see he was ashamed by the way his head hung low. "You never told me about the change of university, I doubt you changed your decision after we broke up," you played with your cup.

"You're right, I didnt change it after. That night I was going to surprise you that I was staying just for you. I have to admit I did cross a line but we both did. We should've realized that," he placed his arms on the table. You scoffed and attempted to look somewhere else other than his beautiful eyes, "I was forced to do something without my consent. I crossed no lines!"

"You broke up with me! You don't call that crossing the fucking line?" Ben exclaimed back. "You were accusing me of being someone I will never fucking be! You were doubting me about our relationship!" Your eyes began to sting from the tears forming.

"You kissed Matt!" Both his and your voice was raised but there were barely any people around. "He kissed me! Unlike you I didn't..," you stopped yourself from finishing your sentence. "You didn't want?" he sternly questioned. You shook you head not wanting to say.

"I fucked Olivia when you left," Benedict blurred out. You felt your blood run cold and your heart stop beating, "..You what?" Ben didn't look you in the eye. "After you slapped me and left I slept with Olivia. I was brimming with rage and I felt the need to hurt you in some way," his voice tone lowered.

You could only stare at him in disbelief. You scoffed, there were no words formed by you. Your chest heaved, "Couldn't even wait a fucking day. Go eat shit and leave me alone. You got what you intended.. you hurt me," your voice broke at the end. You got up and left your drink.

Benedict sped walked to catch up to you. "[Y/n], please wait. I'm so sorry." You turned back, "I'm sorry I ever said yes to you." Regret filled you as you finished your sentence. He stopped in his tracks and didn't move an inch to come closer to you.

Your mind snapped back to reality, you wanted to apologize but decided best to leave it as it is. You viewed him one last time before departing to cry all night in your bed.

Being in the same room with him was dreadful. The both of you avoided any eye contact in class and the café. Olivia didn't make it any easier since she gloated to you by turning around in class and kissing him afterwards.