Never Again (1)

Warning: language (you should always assume that by now), angsty? (I don't think it is but some people may?) sad? 

**

"Karon, for the last time, I'm not going to marry her!" Ben slightly limped around his flat. "Benedict you need this. It'll gather the attention of the public. That'll also repay for the damages," she said from the kitchen counter.

"It was just a bump, I'm more than fine. I'm not going I marry his daughter," Ben sighed as he sat down on a chair. "Ben you're still limping, it was more than just a bump. The wedding has been set. It'll just be 3 years," she informed. Ben gulped down the drink he had in hand.

*3 months before*

"Yes mum, I'll be careful. Goodnight," Ben hung up the phone before putting it in the pocket of his leather motorbike suit. He put on his helmet and turned on his bike.

A few streets from him, there was a couple at a pub. "I've already seen the dress. You'll look amazing," your dad kissed your cheek out on the sidewalk. Your husband-to-be was standing next to you, "I bet she will." You nuzzled your nose with him.

"Look at you two," he sighed, "My little girl is all grown up now." You squeezed your fathers hand. "Alright, I've got to get going. See you tomorrow for dinner," he proceeded to his car.

You turned to Henry, your husband-to-be, and grabbed onto his hand as the both of you walked to the nearby flat you shared with him. Your steps were slow, with patience so you could still see your dad starting up the car. His lights turned on and he began steering right.

Henry was telling you something about his work when the howling noise of the motorbike caught your attention. The driver was zooming through the street. Your dad never checked if anyone was coming from the side.

"DAD!" You screamed from the top of your lungs and ran to stop your father from moving. It was too late. The screech of a tire and the smashing of a window was heard. Henry sped to your father while you checked on the driver of the motorbike.

A few people got their phones out and reported the accident. The man was unconscious in your arms. Your dad and Henry jogged to you. "Oh god," your father gaped as he cried a few tears. You took off the guys helmet and checked his pulse.

"Dad listen to me. It'll all be alright, he's knocked out cold. I need you to go back to your car. Henry go get some water," you ordered. Henry entered back the pub you were just seated at and returned with some water, awaiting the ambulance to arrive.

*Current time*

Ben limped to his office and slammed the door behind him. He made a b-line to his liquor cabinet. "Ben, this is good. You'll gain popularity for finally getting married," Karon walked into his office.

"She's going to marry the person she loves! Not me," Ben is becoming more irritated than he already is. "The wedding is in 2 months, that'll give you enough time to heal," Karon grabbed her bag and left Ben to drink.

**

The day of the wedding finally came. You were crying in your room, not wanting to get up. Your dad entered, "Sweetie, are you up?" You swiftly wiped your tears, "Yeah," your voice was hoarse. Henry entered the room as well.

"Y/n," Henry timidly spoke. You shifted in bed and saw him standing there with a single flower in his hand. You stood up and firmly wrapped your arms around his body. Your father exited the room leaving the two of you alone.

"I don't want to..," you began to sob. He held your head close to his chest and attempted to cease your tears, "It's okay, it'll all be okay." Henry began to cry as well. "Let's run away, please," you croaked out.

"Honey we can't. It's a contract with powerful people. We wouldn't want to mess with them," he kissed your head. "Is that why you're letting me get married to him, because you're scared?" You scolded at Henry.

He had difficulties forming his sentence, "No that's not what I meant. I, uh..," he let out a deep sigh. "Your father messed up a shit ton with this, but if it were my fault I would've stayed in debt for the rest of my life if that meant you'd only marry me. Your father is at an age he can't earn enough money by himself."

You stepped away from his embrace and wiped away your tears, "That's why he's earning money, because he basically sold me." Henry extended his arm to console you, "He didn't sell you, he wanted no money for what he's doing. You gave him consent to do this, so he could pay his own debts."

"Because I thought I was helping him," you broke out into sobs again. "And you are. This isn't a permanent thing, it's temporarily," he held you in a hug. "A fake marriage for 3 years," you grossly sobbed in his chest.

The room door opened, Karon walked in. "Sorry to interrupt the moment, we need to get the bride ready," she set her bag on a table. A few people walked in behind her and began setting their tools. Henry kissed your lips for the last time and stepped away.

Karon sympathetically smiled, "I'm sorry." Henry let go of your hand and exited the room. You were seated on a chair and a few people began tugging at your hair. Karon stood in front of you so she could speak, "I can imagine this is hard.."

You gave her a nasty glare. She continued, "..but it'll help your father and Ben." You didn't speak with her. "This silent treatment doesn't mean anything, I just want to inform you about the story–"

"–that I need to lie about and how I met him," you continued for her. "Hold him close and smile for the cameras. I think I've got it down," you said in a monotone. She sighed and walked to where she was out of view. "It's just a three year thing, it'll pass in a flash."

**

She lied. It never passed in a flash, it was all slow motion. The seconds seemed like hours and minutes like years. For some apparent reason, Karon thought the venue would at least brighten up your mood. She calculated wrong again.

You and Ben had excused yourself from your own wedding party and made your way to the shared bedroom. It was evident the both of you were miserable. He opened the door and you walked in with the wedding dress you were supposed to wear at your wedding with Henry.

Ben sat on a couch that was located across from the bed. The second you walked into the room you let tears run down your cheeks.

You placed on a pair of pyjamas accessible to you and went under the covers, curled up into a ball. Your silent sniffles were heard. Ben knew better than to sleep in the same bed as you, he grabbed a spare pillow and a blanket provided at the foot of the bed.

He shut off all the lights before going to the couch again. Neither you or him shared a conversation throughout the day. The only words exchanged between the two were meaningless I do's.