Stunt Double (4)

"Three, two, one!" you could perfectly hear the person counting down. Everything was so clear, every movement needed to be perfected. You did everything as you calculated. Instead of standing up and showing you were fine, you saw complete darkness.

You became conscious when you heard his voice; his words, his sobs, his begs. All you wanted to do was answer him, but you couldn't. Everything was always pitch dark, you only heard voices. That was until you finally had the strength to voluntarily lift one of your eyelids.

You saw a small ray of light. It hurt to open and see light again, but you battled to fully open both eyes. There was a slight movement in your hand causing the person in the room to observe your struggle.

"[Y/n]," his hoarse voice called. He saw your struggle and hurriedly went out of the room to call for a doctor. He promptly returned to sit in his seat placed right next to your bed. "That's it baby, open your eyes," his voice cracked with happiness. "That's it love, please wake up," Ben held firmly onto your hand.

Doctors and nurses rushed into your room, Ben had to step aside while the doctors surrounded you. They checked your vitals and tried to make you speak but your throat was too dry. You slightly moved on the bed finding it to be a grave mistake. Every movement was painful.

"Ms. [L/n], try your best not to move," one doctor said as he tried to finish checking you up. With struggle, you built up enough power to ask what happened to you.

Ben didn't take his eyes off of you; his eyes were bloodshot red. The doctor gazed at him then back at you. "What's the last thing you remember," one of the nurses inquired. "A stunt," you croaked out.

"I'm afraid you were badly injured during your stunt. Your arm took most of the damage; a broken radius and ulna, along with a severe sprained wrist. You also have four broken ribs, a severe concussion, and a broken tibia. You were in a coma for two weeks," he told you all your injuries.

By this time, you had already gotten ice chips; your throat was more refreshed. "The camera must've captured a great fucking shot," you joked. Everyone in the room felt relieved you could joke about what happened. Nurses and doctors just smiled and nodded. Ben, on the other hand, did not. "We'll leave you to rest," the doctor said as everyone exited the room except for Ben.

"How could you risk your life like that?" Ben attempted to hide his fury, but he failed. "This is where it led you. I got phoned at 4 in the morning with the horrifying news that you severely injured yourself. I was petrified, frightened, I panicked the second I got the news that you didn't wake up after one of your stunts. Above it all, I learned you were the one with this idea," he paced the room.

"Oh," you finally said after everything he told you, "I miscalculated one of the steps." Ben scoffed, "Did you even hear what I told you. [Y/n] I was frightened to the bone hearing that you couldn't wake up, and all you think about is how you miscalculated your fall?"

Ben was now standing next to your bed. With all your strength, you barely moved to sit up on the bed. Ben lost his anger and was now protective. "Darling, don't move," he got ahold of your good arm. You took advantage of the time to steal a quick kiss. Ben couldn't hold in his tears.

You shushed him and kissed his cheeks, "I'm awake now. I'm here now." He slightly shook his head and set you down to rest. "Love, I was--" "worried," you finished for him.

"I'm sorry. I should've told you that I was doing this stunt," you apologized. He held onto your hand and kissed your fingers. "Why can't I stay angry?" he asked with a timid chuckle. Ben began to lean in his head to connect his lips with you.

You two were enjoying the blissful moment, Ben was careful not to hurt you. The door carefully opened, barely making any noise. Someone at the door coughed making Ben and you abruptly stop the kiss.

"I'll come back later," Feige said almost exiting. "Erm, no we were uh, we were--" "Just save it Ben. Everyone knew you two had a thing when you were filming," Feige intervened with a friendly manner. You attempted to hide your giggles.

"Well now that we are talking, [Y/n] I need to ask you something. The Russo producers, Marvel and myself wanted to ask you if we could use the shot we recorded. We know you risked your life and we caught it all on camera, but we reviewed the footage and everything came out perfect," Feige finished.

Ben was a bit appalled; after everything that happened, they still wanted to use the dangerous footage. Ben disapprovingly scoffed, "Absolutely--"

"Of course," you intervened before Ben could finish. "No, I don't want the whole world to witness my girlfriend almost dying," Ben exclaimed. You wanted to protest, but the word girlfriend kept repeating in your head.

"If I could, I would be nodding my head right now," you said after a few, short seconds. "Ben, that's exactly my point. You heard Mr. Feige, the footage they have is perfect. I did risk my life for a snippet of a scene, don't make this all be in vain. I don't want to have these injuries thinking it was for nothing." You gazed at Feige, "Kevin, please do use the footage. I give you, the Russo producers and Marvel permission to do so."

Ben, obviously, thought it was a bad idea. After Kevin left, you could tell he was still very upset about your decision. "Ben, I know you worry about me and I'm really sorry. I can't let that footage go to waste," you held onto his hand with your good hand.

"I want to protect you but it seems like I'll never be able to do that," Ben gazed down to the bed sheets, "I know you're a stunt, and you're the one that seeks all the trouble. I know for a fact I won't be able to keep you away from physical harm. Hell, you're stronger than I am." You slightly chuckled.

The both of you stayed quiet for a minute. You knew he cared a lot. You wanted to seem strong, like if your injuries were nothing, but you were actually very scared. Nobody has showed you so much love like Ben has. You held onto his hand and tugged it a bit. He shifted his eyes to make eye contact with you.

"I love you," you almost whispered. He connected his lips with yours in a gentle kiss. He caressed your cheek, "I love you too." You began to grow sentimental, tears began forming in your eyes, "Thank you Ben, for everything. I'm sorry I did all of this without telling you. I love you so much," a stray tear slipped down your cheek.

Ben wiped it away, "Darling, don't cry. It's ok," he kissed you again before saying, "I love you more than you can imagine."

***

*2 years later*

"We're so glad the both of you could make it," Robert Downey Jr. greeted the both of you at the red carpet for Infinity War. "We wouldn't miss it for anything," Ben smiled and greeted his friend with a hug.

"How's the recovery going?" Robert asked you. "Surprisingly, very good. I literally couldn't be any better," you responded with a smile. "Well I hope you two enjoy your evening and the movie," he patted Ben's back before going on the red carpet.

Ben and you had to wait a few minutes before going to the carpet to get your pictures taken. Meanwhile the both of you talked and simply kissed each other. Fans then started calling his name, he went to sign pictures.

"You're date is very cute," one of his fans said to him. He smiled at his fan then to you, "She is, isn't she." While signing more pictures, his fans said you two were a cute couple and giving compliments to him.

After leaving his fans and taking pictures, Ben led you to another part of the red carpet, the interviews.

"Congratulations! You've made it into an Avengers movie," the interviewer said. "Thank you, all this excitement for the premiere is utterly amazing," Ben rubbed the back of his neck, you knew that meant he was slightly blushing or nervous.

"We see you brought your lovely girlfriend," she happily commented. He turned around to face you, he waved; you waved back showing a bright ring on your left hand. Ben shifted his gaze back, "She's actually my fiancée," Ben proudly announced.

The interviewer eyes slightly grew open, "Oh, you two are going fast." Ben hummed and shook his head, "Not really. We've publicly been together for 6 months as a couple, but we've actually been together for much longer. As of today, she's not my girlfriend, she's my wonderful fiancée."

"Well congratulations on that too," the interviewer happily said, "I hope you two have a wonderful night." Ben thanked her one more time before retreating back to you. He held onto your hand and kissed your ring finger then your lips.