92

EVERYTHING CAME TO A SCREECHING HALT. A tentacle pierced through Sariel's chest, catching him mid air. He was suspended, wings flailing violently as the appendage writhed inside him.

Alzar was frozen on the spot, lurching forward as Fancy retreated, allowing Sariel to drop several feet. Brutally, she attacked again, stabbing with a barrage of razor sharp tentacles, like pins in a pin cushion.

Sariel struggled, arching his back as he howled in pain, clenching his fists tight. Searing light bled from his palms, slicing through her tentacles and freeing him.

The air was filled with an electric tension, the unbearable pressure building between Sariel and Fancy like the stretch of elastic. He flung himself towards Fancy, fingers outstretched in preparation for a last-ditch effort at victory. The sky seemed to flicker, Fancy's form reacting with enthusiasm.

With one devastating blow, she slammed him into the ground, a shockwave spreading through the earth as Alzar screamed in anguish.

Alzar's legs were startled to life, breaking into a frantic run as he called Sariel's name. His heart pounded with an urgency, throbbing in his ears and filling his mouth with a bitter, metallic taste.

He forced his eyes shut, focusing on the tendrils that lurked below him, just under the surface. Suddenly he could feel everything, every crack and blemish on the earth becoming apparent, as if it was apart of his own flesh. Alzar's blood ran cold as he honed in on one specific sensation.

Sariel lay just ahead, motionless as his blood seeped into the mud.