57

SARIEL’S EYES GREW WIDE, HIS BREATH COMING OUT IN STRANGLED HEAVES AS JUDAS TOOK A STEP FORWARD. He had nowhere to run. Was this the end?

“Who- What are you?” Sariel screamed, flattening his back to the edge of Alzar’s bed, struggling to keep his voice coherent, “What do you have to do with Fancy Hastur? What did she do with Alzar?”

Judas furrowed his brow, cold eyes boring a hole in Sariel. “Don’t speak so rashly to me, human. I'm something far beyond you.”

Judas began to tug at the sleeves of his sweatshirt, exposing the skin on his arms. Dry, greenish scales covered his lower arm, almost identical to the rash on Sariel’s own flesh.

Sariel’s heart skipped a beat as his head began to pound. It was familiar, too familiar. It was right on the tip of his tongue, but he couldn't force the thought out.

Judas’s fingernails turned to yellowish claws, bringing Sariel back to reality.

He was going to kill him.

Vision blurred, Sariel twisted his neck around, searching for any way to escape. He couldn't reach the hallway and the front door was sealed. And then he saw it, a solemn sight on the back wall.

The window.

He knew it would be risky. But it was the only way. Sariel took a steadying gasp for air, gritting his teeth. It was now or never.

The pain in his temples had reached a paramount as Sariel wobbled on his feet, taking drunken steps backwards. He turned on his heels, and leapt out the window.

Glass shards ripped through his skin as wind rushed by his ears. Sariel twisted in the air as pressure built between his shoulder blades.

A floodgate opened in his mind, and his vision turned white.