72

FANCY’S EXPRESSION SOFTENED. “Oh, my dear Alzar, you really don't know, do you?” she murmured, cupping his face in her hands.

“Sariel…” Fancy said, undeniably saddened, “Is not human. He never was.”

Alzar nursed his broken ribs, unable to lift his chin. “Is he a World Eater too?”

Her eyes flashed, amused. “He is nothing but a swine compared to us. Sariel is called an Ethereal, a lesser being that attempted to murder me in cold blood so many years ago.” The corners of her mouth tugged into a smile, “I may have tamed him long enough for him to ensure your safety, but do not be mistaken- he does not feel love. He is a mindless creature with only one desire. You meant nothing to him.”

Alzar started to tremble, his eyes wide. He couldn't believe it. He didn't want to believe it.

Fancy pulled him against her chest, patting down his dirty, matted hair. “I know it hurts you to hear this, Alzar. To have someone so important to you revealed to be a deceitful silvertongue. But that's why you have me. As long as I'm here, you're not alone.”

“I don't want to do this,” Alzar growled, pulling away from her, nostrils flaring, “This is all insane. You're insane.” His skull tingled where it had regenerated, the fatal gunshot now only a memory, “I'm not a World Eater. I'm Alzar Lorne, a human being.” His voice was trembling, a rapid stream of syllables that almost choked him.

It happened in a flash. Slap! Fancy’s hand struck his cheek, slamming him into the mud. Alzar hugged the ground, quivering in a heap at her feet.

“Alzar, you are not listening to me,” she said, her voice even as she gazed at him with eyes as cold as ice, “The human Alzar Lorne died the night of your birth,” she leaned down, “after an infant World Eater ate his soul and claimed his body.”

She licked her fingers, rubbing the blood off Alzar’s face as he pulled him into her lap. “And, eighteen years ago, that World Eater’s mother claimed the body of Fancy Hastur.”