18

“THERE WAS SOMETHING OUTSIDE, ALZAR,” SARIEL RASPED, SHAKING ALZAR ROUGHLY BY THE WRIST.

Alzar’s heart pounded, his blood roaring in his ears. Weakly, he struggled to free himself from Sariel’s grip, but to no avail. “Sariel, this is all in your head, please listen to me.”

“Get down!” Sariel hissed, dropping into a crouch, dragging Alzar with him, “It isn't safe here. There was something evil outside.”

“I thought you were taking your medicine, Sariel,” Alzar said, a tremor creeping into his voice. Sariel’s eyes were wide, alert. Crazed.

“That's not important right now!” Sariel barked, brushing Alzar’s bangs away from his face. “Are you sure you're okay?”

“I'm fine,” Alzar whimpered, scratching his fingernails down his arm, pulling off a scab.

Sariel blinked, reaching to touch his upper arm. “Alzar, you're bleeding. Let me heal you.”

“You can't heal me,” Alzar said cautiously, attempting to back away. Sariel’s grip on his wrist kept him still. He was gasping for breath, fear rushing through his veins. He felt like a caged animal, trapped with Sariel.

“Please let me heal you,” Sariel said more frantically, shaking him once again, “I can make you stop bleeding!”

“No you can't!” Alzar wailed, finally breaking from his grip. He tore out of the room, slamming into the side of the door in a blind panic.

Stumbling into the kitchen, he heard footsteps behind him, heart racing a hundred miles per hour. Seeing no other options, he threw himself out the front door, barely allowing himself time to pull on his sneakers.

The sun had started to set, casting the forest surrounding his house in a comforting, lazy dusk. The canopy of trees covered Alzar in a cool shadow, the soft chirping of cicadas beginning to ease his mind.

Alzar collapsed against the side of a tree, cradling his head between his knees. He covered his face, sweat dripping down his neck. He hated seeing Sariel in that condition.

He turned his head, squinting to descry the image of his home in the distance. There was no telling when Sariel’s psychotic episode would end.

Alzar sighed, rubbing his temples in an attempt to massage out a headache. It wasn't safe to go home tonight.