29

“ALZAR, NO!” ABADDON SCREAMED, HIS VISION SUDDENLY FLARING TO LIFE. The gun slipped from his hands, hitting the gym floor with a series of clatters.

Abaddon gasped for breath, unnerved by his sudden gain of control. He had to calm down and get Alzar’s body somewhere safe.

“Well that was an interesting turn of events,” a voice remarked, the sound of a single applause cutting through the silence. All around Abaddon, the students went slack, bodies freezing up and eyes losing their focus. Andrea was the only one unaffected, sobbing into her hands and falling on her knees.

Fancy appeared in front of Abaddon, a cool, collected smile riding on her lips. “Andrea Damascus, I have to applaud you. I knew children were cruel, but that was an impressive display.”

Abaddon was cautious, keeping his distance from Fancy. “Explain yourself, Demon.”

Fancy grinned, her eyes widening with amusement. “Demon? Demon? Surely you're kidding. That's an insult to a being such as I.”

Abaddon’s blood ran cold as a sinister air fell over gym, making it hard to breath. For a second, he felt a flash of fear, driven by something he couldn't recall. It was almost instinctual.

“I'm a World Eater.”

The words shot raw emotion through Abaddon’s veins, every fiber in his body screaming for him to run away. An odd pressure weighed down his shoulders, preventing him from moving. He seemed to be drawing closer to Fancy, his limbs willed by something that wasn't his mind. “What do you want with Alzar? Surely you have better things to be doing than terrorizing a teenage boy?”

“Now, now, Abaddon, don't sell yourself short. I need both you and your host. Alzar doesn't know what he's capable of.”

Abaddon struggled to swallow. “What are you talking about?”

Fancy took a step forward, letting her fingers brush across Abaddon’s cheek. She wore a stark white gown, but it was less beautiful than it was surreal, haphazardly attached to a being beyond human belief. Her eyes outshadowed her figure, far more alive and vibrant. “Ah, I suppose you would be confused. Allow me to remind you.”

Light flashed before Abaddon’s eyes, and he was dragged into a vision.