14

ALZAR’S SKIN WAS CRAWLING. Fingertips numb, Alzar raked his nails down his back, feeling warm blood gush as he pulled off scabs.

The hallway felt foreign as he stood by Fancy’s door, rubbing his temples as he fought off a wave of dizziness. He had skipped breakfast, unable to find himself craving food. The aching in his stomach made him regret that choice.

A snippet of a conversation caught Alzar’s attention, and he lifted his head, watching two girls chatter on the opposite side of the hall. He furrowed his brow. They had to be talking about him.

He had bumped into them coming into school, and Alzar saw their lips sneer when they rubbed shoulders with them.

He hadn't showered in several days, unable to find the willpower to bath. He knew he stank, but he was too out of sorts to do anything about it. Hugging his chest, Alzar’s stomach did a somersault. The girls’ faces seemed off as well, their motions sending a hot wave of terror down his spine.

As soon as the bell rang, he ducked into Fancy’s office, taking his normal seat in front of her. There was something calming about sitting in the same place every day, especially when everything seemed to be falling apart. He clung to this small shred of routine like his life depended on it.

Fancy drummed her fingers on the desk, staring down at notepad. “Alzar, what do you remember from your childhood? Do you have a fairly good collection of memories?”

Alzar shrugged. “I don't remember much, it's all kinda a blur. I guess it's from where I switched when I was little.”

Fancy’s vivid eyes fell on him, coldly and Alzar swallowed nervously. “Alzar, may I enquire about that scar on your collar bone?”

He flinched, but he wasn't sure why. Alzar’s eyes crept down to his chest, where a stark line of discolored skin ran across his collarbone. His throat was dry as he struggled to answer, “Sariel told me I got into an accident when I was younger.”

“You don’t remember anything about it?” Fancy pressed.

“Nothing at all,” Alzar whispered, a headache starting to pulse behind his eyes.

“Let me see it.”

Fancy reached across the desk, hovering over Alzar. He scrambled to avoid her prying fingers.

“Please don't touch me, I don't like to be touched!” Alzar cried as Fancy grabbed his chin, jerking his head back.

“Be quiet,” she said, tugging at the zipper of his pullover, exposing his upper chest.

“Let go of me!” Alzar shouted, “Please!”

Fancy stroked the scar that hung below his neck, and Alzar’s blood ran cold, his body freezing. His vision blurred, his limbs becoming foreign to him. For a split second, he saw flashes of a forest, the eyes of a beast staring at him from amidst the trees.

And then he saw nothing.
a/n: remember to vote and comment!!!♡