48

“TODAY WE WILL BE WRITING A LETTER TO THE DECEASED,” MELISSA SAID WITH A NOTE OF CHEERFULNESS.

Sariel held a page of notebook paper with trembling hands, trying to behold the canvas that was supposed to contain everything he wanted to say to Alzar. Sariel didn't think there was enough notebook paper in the whole world to serve that purpose.

“When you lose a person in a tragedy, the lack of closure is often a problem. By writing a letter, you can put into words everything you wanted to tell your loved one, and maybe then you can start to move on.”

The long tables that once sat in the library had been restored, and the dark stares around him reminded Sariel of his status as an outcast. He leaned over his page, trying to force his quivering fingers to create legible words. His muscle spasms crippled his ability to write, to the point that Alzar had to write his own parent notes for school.

Sariel’s mind seemed to be running in countless different directions, darting from his encounter with Judas to the strange wounds he saw at the gymnasium. Even expelling a sentence onto his paper seemed like a feat.

“It's okay, Mr. Lorne. Take as long as you need.”

Sariel glanced up, cheeks turning scarlet. Ten minutes had already passed and he barely had two sentences. Melissa hovered over him, smiling gently. She spoke to him like he was a child.

A series of murmurs broke out between the other parents, and Sariel tried to keep his eyes steady, not to stare. He hoped they weren't talking about him.

Keeping his head down, Sariel returned to writing, one question on his mind: if Alzar was still here, what would he ask him?

I'd probably ask him where my gun is.

His heart skipped a beat. No, he wasn't going to let himself think that. There was no way.

The pencil slipped from his fingers, rolling to the feet of a man with angry, tired eyes.

“I'm sorry,” Sariel murmured, crouching down to grab his pencil.

“I bet you're sorry,” he hissed.

“Excuse me?”

“It makes me sick to even see your face here, Lorne. Don’t try to act innocent. My daughter is dead because of you,” the man spat.

Sariel stumbled back, wringing his wrists. “I-I-”

“People, people!” Melissa said, her voice taking on a sharp edge, “There is no need to be fighting amongst each other! It's common to blame others when a disaster like this happens, but no one in this room is at fault!”

The man threw himself from his chair, letting it clatter to the ground. “But it's the truth, we all know! Alzar was the only body that wasn't recovered, and none of the teachers did it! Alzar was a ticking time bomb, just as crazy as his uncle.”

Sariel began to shake, the only thought on his mind his missing gun. Alzar… He hugged his chest, feeling bile climb up his throat with hot fingers.

“Mr. Lorne, Mr. Carpenter, please settle down! We can all talk this!”

There was nothing to talk about. Sariel knew it was true.

He darted out of the library, slamming the door against the wall. He collapsed into a bench in the lobby, covering his head as another wave of sobs wracked his body.

“What seems to be troubling you, Sariel?” a soft but venomous voice asked.

Vision blurred with tears, he brought his head up, coming face to face with Judas.