35

“WHAT'S GOING ON?” SARIEL DEMANDED, HIS HANDS TREMBLING WITH A NERVOUS VIGOR.

The scene had fully unfolded before his eyes. Police officers swarmed the scene, yelling into walkie-talkies and holding their guns close at their sides. Flashing lights burned into Sariel’s retinas, a wretched pattern that made him unable to think.

“What happened?” Sariel repeated, sweat coming down his face in waves, “What's going on?”

One unspoken question hung in the air, the real question Sariel wanted to ask: was Alzar alive?

“Not right now sir, you're going to have to wait in the parking lot. We're trying to get all this sorted through,” the officer finally replied, breathless. His wide eyes only made Sariel more frantic.

Everything seemed to flash before Sariel’s eyes. The danger felt real, raw, and nauseating. His son could be dead, and he couldn't even know.

EMTs had congregated by the back entrance of the gymnasium. This was his chance. He had to find Alzar.

“Sir, please go back to your car. It's not safe here,” the officer attempted to grab his arm. Sariel shoved past him, hot spurts of breath clipping through his nostrils. Everything had a surreal, red, yellow, and blue filter thrown over it, the only light that kept Sariel from tripping over his own feet. The sirens were drown out by the vicious ringing in his ears.

“There still may be an active shooter.”

It was like the officer had stabbed him with a knife. Panic ripped through Sariel’s chest and veins as he broke out into a run.

No, this couldn't be happening. Shootings didn't happen to him. Shootings didn't happen in Lewisburg, Tennessee. Shootings happened somewhere far, far away. Not there. Not to his son.

The rain had turned the ground to mush, its wet clutches gripping on Sariel’s shoes and attempting to drag him down. He rounded the corner, nearly crashing into a paramedic. He couldn't bring himself to look at the black tarps that were thrown over vaguely human shapes.

Someone grabbed his arm. He barely felt it. He tore from the grip, shoving open the doors and running inside the gymnasium.