34

DIM HEADLIGHTS CUT A THIN PATH THROUGH THE POURING RAIN. Stormy skies cast a blanket of darkness across the gravel road as Sariel made the nearly hour long drive to Lewisburg Central High School. Thunder drowned out the static on the radio, startling Sariel out of the fog that hung over his mind.

Upon the horizon, Sariel spotted flashing lights. His heart leapt into his throat.

No, he thought, clenching the steering wheel until his knuckles turned white. Don't think about that. Everything is fine.

But Alzar had never texted him.

“No,” Sariel repeated with a hoarse voice, this time vocalizing his thoughts, “Everything is fine.”

The lights grew more intense. Red and yellow danced in the black, two colors that made any parent sick.

He tried to reason with himself. The people planning prom probably thought strobe lights would be a good send off for the party. It was all part of the festivities.

Gravel churned beneath the car as he climbed the driveway. People congregated in front of the school. Probably just parents, or maybe students.

Everything was fine.

Police cars. They were for the safety of the kids at prom. It didn’t mean an accident. Sweat soaked through Sariel’s thin t-shirt.

Everything was fine.

Sariel slammed on his breaks. He wheeled his head around, blood freezing in his veins as he processed the unsuspecting white van haphazardly parked in the parking lot.

It was a car he prayed he wouldn't see.

The state medical examiner.

Someone had died.