65

ABADDON FLINCHED AS HE AWOKE, ADRENALINE PUMPING THROUGH HIS VEINS. He pulled himself up, panting as he struggled to realize his surroundings.

He was sitting in a damp cave, Alzar’s clothes stained beyond repair and his skin aching from open sores. Time had obviously passed since his last time in control, and he didn’t recognize the location.

“Ah, Abaddon. I was trying not to trigger your presence again,” Fancy murmured, not bothering to turn her head to face him, “I was hoping Alzar simply got tired of whimpering and decided to rest.”

“World Eater!” Abaddon barked, slamming his hands on the ground, “What are you planning?”

“Do you really expect me to lay out everything for a mere demon? You're not very intimidating.”

Abaddon narrowed his eyes, sweat running down his brow. “Listen here, World Eater. I won't let you lay a hand on my host.”

“It's amazing how blind you've become, Abaddon. You must know the precise reason I placed you inside Alzar by now, and yet you are still so attached to him. I honestly can't fathom it.”

A wave of dizziness fell over Abaddon, and he stumbled, catching himself with his hand.

Fancy smiled, a shallow, meaningless expression as she hovered over him. “Abaddon, Alzar’s body is telling you to rest. Perhaps you should listen.”

Black spots dotted Abaddon’s vision as he struggled to keep himself off the ground. “I don't trust you,” he spat.

She grabbed Abaddon’s chin, twisting his head up. Her eyes flashed with a foreign, powerful energy that made his blood run cold. “It's good that you don't have to.”