68

THE CAR’S TIRES SPUN IN THE MUD AS IT SLID INTO THE DITCH, SLAMMING ALZAR’S HEAD AGAINST THE BACK OF THE SEAT.

“What was that?” the officer at the wheel spat as the car came to a stop.

“That was too big to be a deer,” his partner said, grabbing a flashlight and a pistol from the glovebox, “Stay put, buddy. We're gonna go check it out.”

With two clicks of the doors, Alzar was alone. He watched the police officers trek into the forest, following large footprints in the mud.

Alzar pushed his forehead into the back of the seat, struggling to remain calm. Every second he remained stationary was another second that he was losing to Fancy, another second she could find him.

“It was nothing,” a wooden voice murmured, the two police officers shambling into the car.

“Are you sure?” Alzar whimpered, leaning into the front of the car.

The driver turned his head, lifeless, glassy eyes staring back at him. A pang of nausea ripped through Alzar’s stomach. “Yes,” he said.

He hit the gas, lurching the car forward. He couldn't bring him to look at the officers faces. Every nerve in his body was screaming, his anxiety going haywire as he dragged his fingernails down his arms.

A bird landed on a branch as they passed by, lifting its wing to preen itself. Alzar’s blood turned to ice.

An eyeball twitched on the bird’s exposed breast, bloodshot and twisting to look at Alzar. Alzar stared down at his lap, rubbing his temples.

That wasn't real. It couldn't be real. He was just seeing things.

The car took a sharp turn to the left. Alzar’s eyes widened as he gawked behind him, watching the right turn they had abandoned.

“We're going the wrong way,” Alzar whispered, “This isn't how you get to the hospital.”

The officer’s cold eyes stared at him from the rearview mirror. “I wasn't sure at first, but now I know who you are. You're the little freak that shot up that school in Lewisburg.”

Alzar’s nails broke the skin, sinking into his upper arm. “W-What are you gonna do with me?”

“I'm gonna give you what's coming for you.”