60

SARIEL WAS FALLING. The ground rushed towards him as he shook his head, eyes open and mind racing.

His skin was dissolving, shifting into rough scales and white plumage. The human body the World Eater had trapped him in seemed to burst at the seams, the wind rushing by his ears like an old friend.

He hit the ground with grace, spreading out his wings as he wheeled around to face Judas. Judas landed a mere few feet in front of him, staring at him in horror.

“Sariel, my lord,” Judas whispered, falling onto his knees, “I-I had no idea… The World Eater, she had suppressed my memories. She used me-”

Sariel clenched his eyes shut, letting his body ripple. Smooth, pale skin replaced his scales, wings retreating into his spine with a crack. Blond hair fell across his neck.

He stared at his fingers, and for once, it felt natural. The headache that had plagued him for almost seventeen years had vanished, and his mind was clear.

But he couldn't dwell on the feeling. He lifted his head, watching the sky. A shiver crawled down his back. He was running out of time.

He pulled Judas off his knees, his hair falling over his eyes.

“The World Eater has to die," Sariel whispered, "Or it's all over."

END OF ACT 2