13

ALZAR PUSHED DOWN THE HUNGER GNAWING AT HIS STOMACH.

He had been in a fog the entire day, detached to his surroundings yet hyper aware of the eyes burning into the back of his neck. He had almost thrown up attempting to swallow one bite of his sandwich.

Beside him, in the driver's seat, Sariel was unusually silent, his jaw locked as his hands trembled against the steering wheel. His eyes frequently shifted to check the rearview mirror, and Alzar tried to avoid looking at him.

“Sariel, are you ok?” Alzar weakly asked, lifting his head from against the window.

Sariel murmured something incomprehensible. Alzar immediately understood his answer, falling back into silence.

----

Alzar staggered under Sariel’s weight as he helped him into the living room, lowering him to the couch. Groaning, Sariel settled against the cushions, letting out of pent-up sigh and rubbing his back.

“Al, there's some stuff in the freezer if you get hungry. I don't think I can make any dinner tonight,” Sariel breathed, turning over onto his side.

“Don't worry.” Alzar didn't plan on eating anyway. His stomach seemed to be chasing his spinning head in circles.

He draped a blanket over Sariel before darting up the stairs and into his room. Kneeling in front of his desk, he dug through the clutter of binders and paper, eventually retrieving a notebook that seemed to be mostly empty.

Fancy had suggested he journal his thoughts and feelings in a spare notebook. Though he was embarrassed at the prospect of a diary, Alzar figured it wouldn't hurt to write down how he felt, even if he never shared it.

April 3rd, 2016,’ he scribbled as the header, ‘I feel like I'm being stared at. Something felt different about my classmates, but I'm not sure what it was.’

Leaning back in his chair, Alzar shook his head, the words on the paper sending a bolt of shame through his chest. He quickly closed the notebook, hiding it under a stack of old homework.

Stumbling to his bed, Cephas watched Alzar from his tank, beady black eyes peering at him from under a rock. He had forgotten to feed him yesterday.

Tugging his knees against his chest, Alzar shut his eyes. The freezer downstairs felt like miles away.

He'd feed Cephas when he felt better.