16

ALZAR FELL ONTO HIS BED, LETTING HIS HEAD SINK INTO THE PILLOW. He kicked his shoes off, drawing his knees to his chest. Locked in the quiet confines of his room, Alzar allowed himself to sigh.

In his mind, a bitter feeling of incompleteness was most prevalent. He had slept during his entire appointment with Fancy, missing out on being able to speak his mind. Alzar had gotten used to his daily sessions, and missing one just felt disappointing.

He pulled his head up, staring at a water bottle in his nightstand. Under it sat a slip of paper, Sariel’s near-unreadable handwriting sitting on its surface.

Please drink water and stay healthy,” the note stated. Alzar pushed his hair out of his face, attempting to smile.

He remembered his conversation with Sariel: he wanted him to come to him about his feelings.

Hands trembling, Alzar crept out of his room, trudging down the stairs with his head down. He hovered at the foot of the stairs, watching Sariel.

He sat on the couch, curled under a blanket and his head propped by a throw pillow. The living room was dark, the flicker of the television the source of light in the room.

“Al?” Sariel asked, weakly turning around, “Are you okay?”

Alzar tugged at the edges of his shirt, rocking on his heels. He wanted to talk to Sariel. He could feel his thoughts on the tip of his tongue, wishing to break free.

But he just couldn't. He couldn't find the words. He didn't even know where to start. Alzar wasn't even sure what he was feeling.

“Uh…”

Sariel smiled, the light of the television shining blue on his glasses. “Wanna watch a movie with me? It's a romcom, and I know that's not really your thing, so it's okay if you don't.”

A bead of sweat gathered on Alzar’s brow. He had barely spoken to Sariel the past couple days. Sariel had been too sick to even engage him. “Sure.”

Alzar settled on the couch beside him, Sariel immediately throwing part of his blanket over him.

“You see, uh, it's about this guy who makes a deal with this kid to pretend to be his son so he can meet women,” Sariel said, grinning and shaking his head, “He falls in love with this girl, but she starts getting suspicious of him. It's pretty funny.”

“That sounds funny,” Alzar replied, his voice hollow. He focused Sariel’s warm figure pressed against his torso. His heart was thudding, Alzar hadn't realized how touch-starved he had become. It felt nice to have another human being by his side, close enough to touch.

Alzar lurched to his side, resting against Sariel’s shoulder. Sariel blinked, staring at Alzar in surprised. He wrapped an arm around his shoulders, pressing him against his chest.

“You haven't wanted to cuddle since you were little,” Sariel murmured, keeping his head pointed at the television, “Are you sure you're okay?”

Alzar’s eyelids drooped, Sariel’s embrace luring him into drowsiness. His shirt was wrinkled, and Alzar could tell he hadn't showered either. But Alzar didn't care. He was scared, disoriented. He yearned for any type of human contact, something that was familiar.

Sariel placed a hand on his head, brushing through his hair. Head laying on his torso, Alzar allowed himself to fall into darkness.