76

THE SKY WAS OVERCAST. A thick layer of clouds choked out the sky, a reddish brown hue tainting them. Fancy kept her eyes above Alzar, watching the clouds.

Stumbling beside Fancy, Alzar squeezed his wrists, scratching at the raw, broken skin. The wet earth caved easily under his feet, leaving deep tracks behind him.

“This world feels so small, Alzar,” Fancy murmured, pausing. The wind caught the edges of her dress, letting it ripple, framing the silhouette of her body. “Humans are so small, it feels so claustrophobic.”

Alzar had never considered it that way. Everything around him had felt so big- his anxieties, his bullies, even the world itself.

But Fancy’s words struck a chord within him. They were World Eaters, right? He furrowed his brow.

“To us, Alzar,” Fancy continued, “Humans are as ants. They're small-minded and insignificant.” She raised her hand, letting it draw across Alzar’s split lip, “But they still find ways to sting you, right?”

She took Alzar by the hand, urging him forward. He couldn't find the mindset to speak. He thought of ants, and the people Fancy told him were ants.

He realized she was right.

Alzar shook his head, trying to settle his thoughts. The tinge of pain his fingernails brought by digging into his palm allowed his vision to clear.

His heart faltered in his chest.

Alzar held Fancy’s hand with fingers dripping with sweat, trying to tug her backwards. “Why are we here?” he rasped, starting to tremble.

They were in the very same clearing where he had been beaten by the police, his blood still visible on the gravel. The corpses on the ground seemed to be staring at him, their glassy eyes and twisted mouths almost mocking.  Alzar’s breathing turned erratic, pounding on his broken ribs.

“Fancy, please,” Alzar whispered, “I don't want to be here, why did you bring me here?”

Fancy smiled, the same reddish hue visible in her eyes. “You're hungry, aren't you?”