52

“SIR, WHAT IS YOUR NAME?”

Their lights were bright. Two flashlights burned in his eyes, dipping everything around him in pools of black.

He struggled to take a step forward, his legs entirely foreign to him. The wet grass licked at his bare feet, the cool wind biting at the flesh under his t-shirt.

His name...what was his name? His head was spinning, aching like his brain was about to burst.

He had been doing something, it had been important, he knew it. The forest felt familiar, like a distant memory. He rubbed his forehead, trying to stimulate something that would help him.

“Can you hear me, sir?” Two men stood at a distance, beside a parked car with flashing lights.

Above him, the sky was black, a layer of clouds obscuring the moon. It filled him with a sense of urgency. Something was wrong.

“It's her, it's her!” he cried, pointing above him, “Can't you see it?”

The two men exchanged sad looks. One of them took a careful step towards him, holding out his hands.

“I know, sir, it's okay. We're going to take you to the hospital, okay? You'll feel better after that.” The man reached out to touch his shoulder.

“You don't understand! She'll kill us all!” he staggered back, sweat pouring down his face.

“Sir, I don't want to have to cuff you. Please calm down.”

He pressed his hands to the man’s torso. Nothing happened. Why didn't anything happen? A wicked tremble ran down his spine.

The man took him by the wrists, leading him to the car. He was too stunned to fight back.

“Sir, do you know where you are?”

“I don't,” he whispered, throat dry. He felt small, like he was an insect on the forest floor.

“Do you know what the year is?”

“The year 2000,” he replied with uncertainty. He wasn't sure how he knew that.

The man lowered him into the backseat of his car, and he let his head roll back.

“And, again, what is your name?”

“My name is…” he paused,   thinking as he forced out the words, “Sariel Lorne.”