9

ALZAR POKED AT HIS MASHED POTATOES, NOT FEELING VERY HUNGRY AT ALL. He kept his head down to avoid Sariel’s gentle stare. He could hear the television from the living room. Alzar hoped that would substitute for conversation.

“So, how was counseling?” Sariel asked, putting down his fork.

Alzar spluttered on his drink. “You know?”

Sariel pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, grinning. “Alzar, the principal called yesterday afternoon to tell me about it. I'm your legal guardian. Nothing gets past me,” he said playfully.

Alzar remained silent, steadying his glass over his lips.

“Look, Alzar…” Sariel murmured, turning his head away, his smile fading, “I'm sorry I can't get you any help. My disability check is just enough to keep food on the table and to pay for my prescription, so I…I wish I could-” Sariel choked on his words, tears welling in his eyes.

“It's fine,” Alzar said immediately, standing up, “Please don't apologize for that, Sariel. You need your medicine. I don't need some psychiatrist. I've gone this long without one, so I'll be fine.”

Sariel wiped his eyes, coming to his feet. He collected his plate, shaking his head. “Please keep eating, Alzar. I'm just not feeling that good right now.”

“Sariel?”

Sariel blinked, pausing in his attempt to wash dishes. “Yes, Alzar?”

“Do you…” Alzar trailed off, unsure how to phrase his question, “Do you believe in the supernatural? Like, ghosts and stuff? Do you think it’s real?”

A shadow passed over Sariel’s face. “I...I don't like to think about it. That's what I think about when I'm at my worst. I feel like there's something out there, something trying to communicate with me. I really hope there isn't something out there, but I just don’t know.”

----

This is stupid, Alzar thought, rolling on his side. It's stupid. I shouldn't be worrying about this. I shouldn't be searching about this.

Alzar grimaced, skimming through another page of Google search results. All the sites seemed to be based on either a book or a movie, and Alzar couldn't find the information he needed.

He paused, finger hovering over a link. Beastology, the site read. The website appeared cheaply made, but sheer amount of information present amazed him. This had to be someone's life's work.

Cursing his own gullibility, Alzar scrolled to the article on demons.

"Demons are powerful spirit beings with no true corporeal form. They are by far the most  common supernatural creature. I have come across many in my research."

"Demons are considered to be the building blocks of occult power. I've spoken to many human occultists who summon them to harvest their power through possession. Junvile World Eaters are known for devouring thousands of demons to jumpstart their growth."

World Eaters? Alzar thought, knitting his eyebrows.

"Alzar? Alzar, are you still awake? It's nearly eleven o'clock," Sariel's voice at his door interrupted him.

Alzar locked his phone, slinging it on his nightstand and throwing his blanket over his head. He didn't want Sariel to know what he was researching. He didn't know how to explain himself.

"I'm trying to sleep!" Alzar barked.

"Oh, sorry, Al!" Sariel replied meekly, "Sweet dreams."

Rolling onto his side, Alzar squeezed his eyes shut. Thoughts of the supernatural still plagued his mind, but he wouldn't allow himself to go back to that website.