86

SHE WASN’T RUNNING.

The World Eater slid gracefully through the trees, more fluid than any human should move.

She could hear the rustling in the brush, the sounds of the beast pursuing her. She raised the hem of her gown as she stepped over a fallen log, letting her chin rise towards the chaos brewing above her.

The World Eater stopped abruptly, wrenching her neck beyond natural limits to face the snarling creature behind her.

“Ah, hello, brother.”

Sariel’s maw was drawn, exposing sharp teeth. He towered above her, wings spread and hooves dug into the mud. “Your words are needless, World Eater.”

She smiled, letting the rest of her body twist to match her head. “You take yourself far too seriously, guardian. I'm a creature of destruction, and you are a creature of protection. Isn't calling you a brother the least bit humorous?”

A hand plunged from the trees, snatching the World Eater by the throat. Judas’s eyes were bright as he nodded to Sariel, who pushed her to the ground, their faces mere inches from each other.

“It's the end of the line, World Eater. Reveal the infant.”

Her expression showed no fear. She shuffled freely under Sariel’s bulk. The air was thick above her, the red haze tasting metallic on Sariel’s tongue.

“I've been waiting for you to see my baby, Sariel.”