32

ALZAR WAS AWAKE.

His knees gave out from under him, leaving him a trembling heap on the floor. He lifted his head, the smell of blood and decay hitting his nose, along with the massacre that surrounded him, like some morbid stage performance. The sight instantly triggered his gag reflex, and he vomited, too distressed to even wipe his mouth.

Through blurry vision, he watched Fancy approach him, her placid expression a comfort he wanted to cling to.

His fingers brushed against his face, feeling the hot blood staining his cheek, its residue filling his mouth with a metallic taste. He couldn't breathe, the air thick with terror and gore.

“Miss Fancy, did I do this?” Alzar whispered, his ears hearing the noise, but not processing that he was speaking.

Fancy knelt down, holding Alzar’s head by his chin. “You killed them, Alzar. Those monsters deserved it.”

The room seemed to spin around him, cold sweat pouring down his face. His mouth was dry, fingers unable to stop shaking. Fancy’s vivid eyes kept him grounded, their bright color reminding him that this was reality.

“They deserved it…” he echoed, voice hollow.

“That's right,” she cooed, brushing his sweat-stained hair out of his face.

He flinched, catching sight of another body. “They'll arrest me. I'm dead,” Alzar rasped, his panic returning.

“Alzar, I'm here for you. I will take care of you. All you have to do is follow me.”

Fancy outstretched a hand, her slim fingers offering him a promise of safety. Weakly, Alzar brought his hand up, blood caked on palms.

He took her hand.

“Of course, Miss Fancy.”

END OF ACT ONE