88

“YOU'VE FALLEN, SARIEL. To think a god would have sunk low enough to love a World Eater, it’s shocking,” Her eyes seemed to glow, jabbing into Sariel like a knife, “You don’t even care for your little archangel like that, do you?”

Sariel’s veins filled with ice water. He say Judas’s expression twist, his eyes widen. Sariel wanted to say something, anything.

But it would be a lie.

“I knew you seemed different,” Judas whispered, his voice accusing but fearful, “The World Eater’s trap changed you. You have the mind of a human.”

Sariel felt Alzar tremble against his chest. He was haggard, several pounds too skinny and clothing covered in mud. Alzar lifted his head, hair falling away from his face.

His eyes were still green, but they had taken on an unearthly depth to them. They were almost black, green flickers wavering like fire. He had the eyes of a World Eater.

Sariel took a shuddering breath, gritting his teeth. He stood, pushing Alzar to the ground with a firm shove.

“Sariel,” Alzar rasped, gaping, “What are you doing?”

Alzar was on his knees, Sariel hovering over him. Sariel’s palm grew hot, energy gathering as he held it to Alzar’s head.

“Please, I love you!”

Sariel’s heart was pounding.

“You were the only one who ever cared for me!”

Alzar’s sobs were drowning the pulsing in his ears.

“I don't want to die!”

The World Eater was right. He really had fallen.

Light exploded from his palm. Alzar clenched his eyes shut.

The World Eater froze as she stared down at the searing hole in her chest.