EPISODE 39

30th January, 2015.

**********************************

Wafi was up early on Friday morning. He was quick to get to the office. It has been a busy week for the Phanta city police station. The rise in drug trafficking has seen a rise in police work for them. So many arrests have been made, yet nothing seemed to have been done. The supply chain of the drugs was still on.

Wafi knew that to stop this monster called drug trafficking they would have to stop cutting its legs and go straight for its head. Its head being the main supplier. Whoever was bringing in the drugs has to be found, if not, no matter how many arrests they make in a week, the drugs will keep flowing. Wafi knew that those they usually arrest are those who are down the food chain. The big fish at the top just gets new people to run his supply once the old ones are arrested. That big fish, no matter who he or she is, must be caught. That was one thing Wafi had sworn he would do. He was tired of fighting the small fight. He wanted the real war.

Wafi knew he was close to finding out who the shark in the ocean of drug trafficking was, but every time it seemed like he was about to find out, something happens and he loses his mark. He still had hopes that one day he would solve this puzzle. He had been on this case for over two years.

He had a team which was set up for him by the police chief and he was heading the investigation. Things seemed to be going fine. But one day, the police chief told him that his team will be disbanded. That too many police resources were being wasted in a search that has not giving results. 

"We should be happy with the little victories we make every week in catching these small time drug traffickers. The people get to watch and see that we are working. I think that is better than chasing after a big fish that we might never catch", the police chief said.

Wafi was disappointed. He has lost his team, lost his resources, but he didn't lose his zeal to continue trying to find the shark. He must do it, even if it meant working alone and without authorization from the police chief.

As Wafi drove into the station, he noticed a familiar car parked at the car park. It was a purple Bentley. He could guess who it belonged to. This was the last person Wafi wanted to see first this morning. Just as expected, Wafi heard Cinn discussing with some officers as Wafi walked into the police hall.

Cinn was sitting on Wafi's chair and had one foot on the desktop that was on Wafi's table. Three police officers surrounded him listening to his story about a wild party he attended the previous day. And mainly about a lady he had seen at the bar. A mixture of amazement and envy could clearly be seen etched on the faces of the officers. They wished they had so much free time as this lad. And as much money too. But while they waited to have the money, they might well enjoy his stories.

Cinn saw Wafi walking in and quickly took his foot off the desktop. He straightened himself and continued his story. He pretended not to notice Wafi who was now standing behind him. When his audience left he turned to Wafi and feigned surprise. 

"Wow Wafi, you are early today. Did you have another nightmare today" He said to Wafi.

Wafi didn't want to reply but he knew Cinn would keep asking the same question over and over again till he replies.

"Yes I had a nightmare."

"That's bad. You should do something about it"

"Thanks. Now tell me, what brings you here this early?"

Cinn laughed and sat up. 

"Well I didn't come here this morning. Matter of fact, I slept here last night."
You were arrested again?

Cinn smiled.

"Of course I was arrested. What do you think? I decided to leave my penthouse suit and come here to sleep? If I didn't want to sleep in my penthouse, I would have come to your apartment. You know that."

Wafi gave a half smile.

"So should i ask who bailed you?"

"Money bailed me."

"Alright then, you should go. I have work to do."

Cinn walked away saying nothing. It was unlike him. He always gets to say the last words. Wafi was concerned that maybe something was worrying Cinn. Or maybe he was rude in telling him to go. Wafi wanted to call him back but decided otherwise. It was better if Cinn left. Maybe later they can hang out. Maybe he would take Cinn with him when he goes to see his parents for the long discussed dinner.  

**********************************************************************Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.