EPISODE 13

19th December 1994
.............................................................

You to take it with you" said Sharon to her younger brother Barry.

Barry didn't want to take the gun. He had been to the woods too many times and never had any threat of any kind. His sister however feared that he may be attacked by wild animals. Barry knew if he didn't take the gun, Sharon wouldn't let him go. Ever since their mum died, she had been acting like the new mum. She was always showing care, although to Barry, it was too much care.

Barry was late already, it was past 1pm. He took the pistol from her and put it in his bag. He went outside the house, got in his jeep and drove. One hour later he was in the woods. He parked his car where he normally does. He had set up a shade for his car. It also helped to conceal the cat. No one would see it.

Barry had been coming to the woods for over three years now. He had set up a tent there. He knew his way around the forest already. While there, he conducts tests, getting specimen from the surround tree and fossils. What was once a hobby for him had now become a serious thing for him. He makes out two days in every week to come to the forest and stay. Alone, where he could work. Almost everyone in Edinburgh city knew Barry for his work.

He had once discovered an 800year old coin. The city's Mayor had given him an award for the discovery. He was a celebrity for
over a year. Everyone wanted to know how he did it. Barry was happy to explain. Some of them had even stayed with Barry to join in his research and study in the forest. After some months of discovering nothing, tired and disappointed, everyone got back to their lives leaving Barry alone once more. He loved it that way. It helped him concentrate. 

As he got to his tent, he felt a feeling of purpose. He got into the tent and set down his bag on the bed. He took out his out his camera and hung it over his neck. He took a bottle of water from the bag and carried his instrument box with him outside the tent. 

Barry headed towards the left hand side of his tent and further down the woods. He had walked for a long time, he was now deep inside the woods. He had never been to that part of the woods before. For a split second, he was scared, but then he threw away the scare. All he had to do was scoop up dirt from the ground, run it through his microscope and decipher what it contains. He walked in, occasionally taking pictures. He hit his leg on something. It was a tree root that stuck up the ground. That could send someone falling down.

"This could make a good trap for animals. If any animal gets its leg stuck into that, it was a catch" thought Barry. 

He saw in a far distance a bunch of butterflies hovering around something. The butterflies looked very beautiful. He took a picture capturing the beauty of the butterflies. He walked close to them, slowly, trying not to make a sound and not to scare them off. As he got closer, he saw a liquid like substance on the floor. It looked like an embryonic fluid. An animal may have given birth there. Barry saw himself smile. He loved the thought of a new life. He wondered where the baby was and of course its mother.

Barry heard a sound come from behind him. The butterflies all disappeared. Barry turned to see a wolf staring straight at him. The wolf growled. Its mouth was open and it was breathing fast. Saliva dripped down its very sharp canines.

Barry's heart skipped a beat. He suddenly felt a rush of fear in his spine. He didn't want to run, that may be too dangerous. He also didn't know what to do. What does one do when he or she sees a wolf in the woods? Run or stand? 

Barry took a step back, going away from the wolf slowly. His heart was beating fast. His knees were shaking. If only he had brought the gun with him, maybe he would scare the wolf away. The wolf didn't look like one to be scared. It slowly pranced towards Barry, growling, snarling, licking its sharp fangs and wagging its tail enthusiastically in excitement over its fresh prey.

Barry could feel the wolf's eyes piercing his soul. He took a decision, he turned away and ran. He wanted to get back to his tent. He didn't try to look behind him for the vicious predator. He knew it would chase him. He could hear the sound that the wolf's paws made as it broke little tree branches. He heard a loud growl behind him. He looked back and saw the deadly look of the wolf as it continued its fixated pursuit.

Barry looked away immediately and he fell. His leg had been caught in-between two tree roots. He tried desperately to get it off before the wolf got to him. He yanked his foot away but it only got tighter. The wolf was edging closer to him. It looked relaxed like it wanted to watch Barry suffer before finally attacking him. 
Barry didn't know when he shouted.

"Somebody please help me. Is anybody there?"

He kept trying to get his foot off the tree root. He could swear he saw the wolf smile. It looked to be enjoying this. 
Barry shouted again. 

"Somebody help me please"

He knew there was nobody else in the woods. There may be another animal but certainly not a human being. He wished he was not alone anymore. He wished he could say bye to his sister. He wished he had never come to the woods that day. He wished he had never loved testing and research. He wished a lot of things. He looked at the wolf. A look of death was what he got in return.

The beast leapt towards him. Barry closed his eyes. He gave his life to it. 

....................................................................
**********************************************************************Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.